New custom build calibration cube

hhassan

Posted · New custom build calibration cube

I would like to consider myself not a newbie to 3D printing, but I have come across an issue that I have not managed to resolve.

My printer is an Anet A8 custom build with extrusion frame and linear rails. The extruder and housing design is taken from the Voron 2.

I am using Klipper as my choice of firmware and have dialled in all the setup parameters, such as extrusion, pid for print head temp, bed screw levelling and mesh bed levelling.

I started off printing a calibration cube and the results were disappointing. (please see attached photos)

The edges, in particular on one side of the Y axis, seem to be distorted, the opposite side seems fine, apart from the elephant foot at the base.

I have ensured there was no play at the print head and all belts were correctly tightened.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

IMG_20220429_164505.jpg

IMG_20220429_164511.jpg

IMG_20220429_164518.jpg

IMG_20220429_164522.jpg

IMG_20220429_164530.jpg

IMG_20220429_164534.jpg

IMG_20220429_164548.jpg

IMG_20220429_164607.jpg

11 minutes ago, GregValiant said:

The gcode looks fine and your settings seem reasonable (but I don't print ABS as I found it fussy and the fumes aren't good).

How does your printer do with an easier material like PLA?

Similar problem ☹️

Posted (edited) · New custom build calibration cube

Here is a different shape to try.  At least it will be something different to look at and it has different types of moves.  You can scale it in the Z to 5mm tall (or something) so you don't have to use as much filament.

Printing it in vase mode is also an option.

GVCalibration_Shape.stl

Edited by GregValiant

17 hours ago, GregValiant said:

Here is a different shape to try.  At least it will be something different to look at and it has different types of moves.  You can scale it in the Z to 5mm tall (or something) so you don't have to use as much filament.

GVCalibration_Shape.stl 57.89 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks for sharing the file. I'll start the print in the next hour and share the results soon after

Posted (edited) · New custom build calibration cube
    21 hours ago, GregValiant said:

GVCalibration_Shape.stl 57.89 kB · 2 downloads

Here are the results. Overall it printed well but there is still some visible distortion/shift on the X Axis. It only seems to impact sharp corners. This does not better than the calibration cube, but I did use the beta version of Cura 5 for this one. Not sure if that helped. Note: This is printed with ABS

IMG_20220430_162535.jpg

IMG_20220430_162553.jpg

IMG_20220430_162605.jpg

IMG_20220430_162635.jpg

IMG_20220430_162641.jpg

IMG_20220430_162646.jpg

IMG_20220430_162652.jpg

IMG_20220430_162818.jpg

Edited by hhassan

Those bad corners are at the same end.  They may be direction-of-travel specific.  You can try mirroring the model and see if the problem moves to a different corner(?).

I'm sticking with a mechanical problem for now.  I'm not sure why or how, but it still looks like a problem in one axis.

You can edit the gcode file with an M201 command to limit the Accel in either the X or Y.  I don't know what your settings for Acceleration are but something like "M201 X1000 Y250" before the first layer would limit the Y axis while leaving the X alone.  Then at layer 25 (or whatever) you could switch it with "M201 X250 Y1000" and see if there is a difference.  As I recall the Anet A8 is a bed slinger and on those types of machines (like my Ender 3 Pro) it can sometimes be an issue.  If I'm printing a tall skinny model I often limit the Y accel above about 150mm or the model can be toppled by the bed movement.