Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

First layer woes

Posted · First layer woes

I am having problems with my first layer. It starts off smooth but has it progresses it gets quite lumpy has can be seen in the attached picture. I have researched this myself and i think i have ruled out all the common causes - 

1) Nozzle too close to the bed-. I dont think so. I have levelled the bed several times by hand to get it has level has possible. Then run the ABL routine to find the correct z  offset. On my machine it seems to be -1.11. I have tried various offsets between -0.95 and -1.18. It doesnt seem to make any difference, the layer starts off smooth and then gets lumpier has it goes. Anything higher then -1.11 causes issues with adhesion.

2) Incorrect extruder calibration-. Again, i have ruled this out. i have checked and its actually under extruding slightly. Running 100mm through actually resulted in 96mm being used. I have left it set has this has if i alter this its probably going to make the lumps even worse. 

3) Temperature- . I have tried various nozzle temps between 195 and 215 degrees and bed between 60 and 75 degrees. 

Has the layers go on it smooths itself out, when upto about layer 4 or 5 the issue seems to correct itself.

I am using Eryone PLA which i find to be very good apart from this first layer issue, especially with their matte black. Can different brands of PLA cause issues like this has Eryone is the only brand i have used up till now. I dont want to go and try a different make if it doesnt fix the issue. 

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

IMG_20220529_145113152.jpg

I just saw this.  What printer is that (looks like a Creality layer cooling fan)?

If it is a Creality printer and you still have the stock plastic extruder - have you checked the extruder arm for cracks?  They usually appear on the underside of the arm around the pivot hole.

It looks like the problem happens suddenly like it's fine and then it's a mess.  If that's true then it appears to be a mechanical issue rather than the filament.  

5 hours ago, GregValiant said:

I just saw this.  What printer is that (looks like a Creality layer cooling fan)?

If it is a Creality printer and you still have the stock plastic extruder - have you checked the extruder arm for cracks?  They usually appear on the underside of the arm around the pivot hole.

It looks like the problem happens suddenly like it's fine and then it's a mess.  If that's true then it appears to be a mechanical issue rather than the filament.  

Its an Ender 5 Pro with the all metal extruder  which i have checked and is in good condition. It always happens on the first layer, by the time it gets to layer 3- 5 its silky smooth. One thing i have tried today is to lower the temperature to 190 degrees and its helped a bit but not cured it completely. Dont really want to go lower then that because the Eryone filament recommends 190 - 220 degrees.