ArchiCAD model won't print.

Posted · ArchiCAD model won't print.

HI,

I've converted an Archicad model into a .STL & for some reason it won't print. 

I can print other items, so I don't think it's the printer. 

Can someone have a look at the model and let me know where the problem is? 

I have a Creality Ender -3  MAX. 

Archi - model.stl

It depends on when someone gets around to looking at the forum.

I didn't have any trouble slicing the model (Ender 3 Pro) but parts of it won't print.  The details are too fine OR pieces just aren't attached too other parts and will fail.  The front door is a 4 panel but the panels themselves won't connect to the stiles and rails.  You can just make out the vertical gap on the right window frame as well.  The roof is so thin that it will only print as separate bridges extending the long way across.  Those will fail as well.

image.thumb.png.955b5d879fead621b59f66818558456c.png

On the left is the model after repair in MS 3D Builder and on the right is the model as you posted it.  You can see that there are a lot of errors in your model.

image.thumb.png.f3c4679acb3ac515b768bdb60a049993.png

Scaling the repaired model up to 200% helped with the gaps like in the door.  You can't really print a small scale "to scale" architectural model.  Certain things (like the front door and windows) need to be designed with the FDM process in mind.  That means that a glass window can't have it's thickness to scale but rather at maybe quadruple thickness so it will print.  The four panel front door might need to be a caricature of a 4 panel door, not the exact door.

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your post. 

After I posted I realised what your saying about scaling down will make some components to thin to print.

I've adjusted the model so every item is at least 1mm thick. When slicing the windows & door don't disappear. 

But I'm having the same problem as before. The printer does the shirt and then stalls for some reason an won't go any further.  the control of machine goes too, it seems stuck. I have to switch off the machine and turn back on to cancel print.

When I change to another model it can print? it's bizarre.  

STUDIO MODIFIED -THICKER WIN & DOORS.stl

With the model loaded and Cura ready to slice select the "File | Save Project" command and post the 3mf file here.

When I tried to open that STL file it blew Cura right out of the water.  After repairing the model it opened and sliced fine.

I would be surprised if there was something in the gcode telling the printer to quit.  Post the 3mf file.  It will tell the tale.

One thing you can try is shortening the file name.  Keep the prefix under 16 characters.  It's possible that a line like this:

";MESH:978283201_STUDIOMODIFIED-THICKERWINDOORS.stl" (that appears right after the skirt finishes) could be causing an issue.  My older CE3Pro hates long file names.

I was pretty sure I wouldn't find anything and I didn't.  The print would go down fine on my E3Pro.

Changing subjects...I don't understand why you have "Origin At Center" checked and then you compensate for that by having those "-150mm" nozzle offsets.

So you can actually print my Model?

The 150mm offset I changed when setting up the machine to align print to centre of bed. 

It was printing on the corner of bed when I first set it up (from memory). 

But the thing is, it does not effect my other prints, they print in centre of bed no problem....

The initial skirt is in centre of bed before it stops 

Greg,

Thank you very much for your help. 

But I reached out to my 3D printer supplier - They said to format the SD card.

I've began printing the lower layers of the model!

Do you know a good adhesive for sticking ABS? Which is easy to clean, no residue over time?

I have a little app for debugging.  It runs through the gcode and the printer moves around but there is no extrusion and the Z stays at 10mm all the time.  It's handy for things like this.  It moved from the skirt to the part with no problem.

I agree that bad sectors on an SD card would cause that.  Sorry I missed that.

When the printer's Home Offset is set correctly the prints end up centered on the build plate.

I can't help with adhesion promoter because I don't print ABS (my printer is in my office and ABS fumes are toxic).  @gr5 is really good with build plate adhesion issues.  Maybe he has a suggestion.

Hi

I also use archicad for my technical drawings but I use sketchup to model my printable models.

The models that come out of archicad are not suited for printing directly (double walls, floating objects, mucht too detailed, ...)  Sketchup models can be drawn much more with fdm printing in mind.

I don't recommend Sketchup for 3D printing, we had a lot of users here with problems using Setchup. The software might be good for other things, but it doesn't produce always a working and error free STL file for printing.

While sketchup doesn't enforce solid parts, if you are really good with sketchup, by now you probably found some great extensions to help you keep your parts manifold.  If you've put in a thousand hours into sketchup and you don't have to think about what your fingers are doing then I'd stick with sketchup and use some of the manifold testing tools if you aren't already.  Here's a great article about making manifold parts (solid parts) using sketchup.  Extremely quick and easy reading.  Will save you hundreds of hours of headache.

https://i.materialise.com/blog/3d-printing-with-sketchup/

On the other hand, if you have never used sketchup, stay the hell away! 🙂