No extrusion filament

BTELAB

Posted · No extrusion filament

I'm trying to print the Printer-test that comes with the Ultimaker S3 but it doesn't extrude well like in photo. I have unload and load again the filament, manual calibrate z. Any advice?

WhatsApp Image 2022-08-01 at 3.04.52 PM.jpeg

1) Usually that's caused by bad leveling but there are other possibilities.

Check leveling by lifting up on the print bed while printing the first layer.  If the quality suddenly gets quite good then you leveling issues.  You are doing it wrong or active leveling is having issues or something.

2) if it's not leveling then it's some underextrusion issue.  Unfortunately there are so many possible causes.  Maybe you messed up in the cura slicing.  Maybe there is a clog.  Maybe the feeder isn't working right.

Did you dissasemble the feeder?  Try changing cores.  What filament is this - are you using CPE filament but printing at PLA temperatures?

To rule out the core, try a different core.

To rule out the feeder, fight the feeder - when not printing go into the middle menu on the left and click on the filament and then the "..." in the upper right and choose "MOVE".  Retract the filament until you see the end in the bowden and then push the down arrow to move it down very slowly and then fight that with your other hand by pulling down as hard as you can with one hand on the filament just below the feeder.  You shouldn't be able to beat the feeder.  The feeder on an S3 can push with about 15 to 20 pounds of force.  You can lift a 10 pounds weight in comparison to judge.  Even 5 pounds of force from the S3 feeder should give you a better quality bottom layer than that.  So if the feeder doesn't slip with 10 pounds of fighting then the feeder isn't the issue.

Maybe when you unloaded and loaded the filament you didn't put it all the way in.  Often it seems to stop at a certain point and you think it's loaded but when you manually feed with the "MOVE" procedure described above - often it goes another inch (2 cm) before it starts to extrude.  When manually changing filament make sure you get it to extrude quite a bit before beginging a print.

I'm using PLA at 205ºC. I am new in Ultimaker world, I have always used Prusa and have never had any problems. I bought an Ultimaker S3 a few days ago and I still can't put the first print for the problem mentioned above.

The filament I inserted it all the way, enough filament comes out when it is time to load it.

I consider not having to disassemble the feeder as the printer is new.

And the bed is correct leveling, I have manual leveling it two times.

6 hours ago, BTELAB said:

I consider not having to disassemble the feeder as the printer is new.

My S5 is several years old and I've never taken apart the feeder.  But some people do.  go figure.  and they reassemble it wrong.  Anyway - not your issue.  When it takes 24 hours to ask a question and get an answer I tend to put in a bunch of questions and a bunch of answers to speed things up.

I still think it's most likely a leveling issue.  I'm not getting a lot from you here - I could ask one question at a time but it might be quite a while before you reply and even long before I notice your reply so:

1) Did you try lifting the glass bed on the first layer?  That would have told us SO MUCH and we could be much further along.   

As it is I still don't know if the problem is with leveling (most common) or if the printer is severly underextruding.  Or if you messed with cura settings and didn't take all the defaults.

2) Please post your project file from cura.  Do "file" "save project as".  Post that file here.  It's possible it's a slicing issue.  For example cure might think your part isn't touching the glass and could be printing above the glass.  Or maybe you changed some key setting.

3) If you don't learn anything from #1 and #2, do the MOVE command.  I think you choose the middle menu on the left and then choose the filament (pla) and then in the corner of the screen there should be a "..." and then choose MOVE.  Wait for it to heat to at least 180C and then start slowly clicking the down arrow and the filament should come out of the nozzle.  How many clicks until it starts coming out?  More importantly you should be able to get a kink in the filament (reach out and make a kink) to reach the glass bed in less than 10 seconds.  If it's taking like 30 seconds (and you are pushing the down arrow faster and it doesn't come out faster) then there is a problem with the feeder or the print core so change print cores.   If it reaches the bed in less than 10 seconds then you know all that's working and it's almost certainly a leveling issue.

Just to make sure as you said you used Prusa before: Do you use 2.85mm filament?

Prusa (and most other manufacturer) are using 1.75mm in diameter,  not so the Ultimakers. 

• Like 1

If he put in 2.85mm filament and told cura it was 1.75 then it would over extrude.  But if he tried to print 1.75mm filament on an S3 then that would explain the issue right there.  🙂

I had a similar issue where my core cooling fan was not spinning, i removed it from the head and used a pair of tweezers to pull out a huge amount of thin strings of material which were stopping it operating. The fan not turning caused material to melt right up the core to the bowden tube and it was unable to push it through.

Cleaning the fan fixed it, be careful though the solder joints on the fan are delicate.

• Like 1