Ultimaker Cura 5.1.0 skips infills when printing with a different infill layer thickness

princefemo01

Posted · Ultimaker Cura 5.1.0 skips infills when printing with a different infill layer thickness

Hello, I noticed whenever I set a different infill layer thickness in cura with a concentric infill, cura tends to skip printing infill at lower layers and then start printing infill on empty spaces above areas that ought to have infill. Please kindly suggest what to do.

Note: I am printing layer height of 0.1 mm with an infill layer thickness of 0.3 mm

Thanks

Infill 1.JPG

infill 2.JPG

infill 3.JPG

Posted · Ultimaker Cura 5.1.0 skips infills when printing with a different infill layer thickness

in PREVIEW mode, the code to display what will be printed doesn't do well when "infill layer thickness" feature is used.  It shows a gap in layers (because it does indeed not print that layer) but the next layer where it *does* print the infill, it shows it as double wide when really it should show double tall.

This is explained if you click "marketplace" in the upper right corner and install the "settings guide" plugin.  Then restart cura and hover over the setting "infill layer thickness".

So basically the feature works but the PREVIEW mode doesn't display it properly.

Hello, I don't think the feature works, because I tried printing with the settings above (different infill layer thickness) and I had prints on empty layers below (just like the image I uploaded above). I tired increasing the infill percentage from 100% to 110% then 150% and down to 90% and the print time were similar with no change. This informs my decision that there could be an issue somewhere. 

Note: This is only applicable for concentric infill as "lines infill" had no issues with this settings.

I did a quick check on previous version 4.13.1 and there were no issues.
    Could you please help me on this.

Please post your project.  In cura do "file" "save project..." and then post that file.  Mention if you saved the project from within cura 5.1.0 or not.  Maybe also save your 4.13.1 project that works separately.

Are you doing triple thick infill?  Nevermind.  you said you are.  So are you saying that in cura 4.13.1 it does the triple thickness infill just fine but in  Cura 5.1.0 it does not print enough and the infill looks underextruded?

Infill percentage?  100% infill should make it solid infill.  No gaps.  Infill percentage just helps cura decide how far apart the lines are.  I don't think it does anything different at 150% versus 100% but I never thought to try that.  Instead you might want to mess with "flow" which tells the extruder to adjust how much material to extrude.  So 150% infill flow (is there such a setting?  I didn't check) would be the thing to try.

Maybe you should show a photo of your print as well?

Actually maybe post the (bad) gcode file as well.  I'm having trouble running cura 5.X and I want to look at your gcode to make sure it is triple extruding and I can use one of many gcode veiwer programs to verify that.

Hello @gr5 and @princefemo01

There are bug reports on GitHub regarding this behavior.  Something is broken with "Concentric" as both regular Infill and as Support Infill.  It looks like the developers are addressing the problem for the next release but for now, it's a problem with certain combinations.  One combination is that if "Infill Layer Thickness" is different than "Layer Height" things go wonky.  It might be operating system specific as well.  On my Windows system if I set the Infill Layer Thickness to 2X layer height the result is 0% infill in the preview and it isn't generated in the gcode even though I have my infill density set to 50%.

• Like 2

@GregValiant, thank you for the explanation. You communicated the issue just exactly the way I would have done. I hope they solve this bug as soon as possible.

@gr5, Thanks for your response. I have attached the gcode file produced from 5.1.0 to this post. 

Circular concave disc.gcode

#12808 and #12956 are the Github bug reports I was referring to.  They aren't the only ones.

• Like 1