Ultimaker S5 and network drop

Super_paulie

Posted · Ultimaker S5 and network drop

"failed"?  That's it all it says?  This goal of making user interfaces "simpler" can be quite annoying.

I doubt it.  My wifi was very spotty in the room with my S5 and I've done many network prints (but not in the last 3 years - now I just use the USB flash drive).  The S5 has a huge internal drive that is mostly empty and when you do a network print it stores the whole job on there.  That doesn't mean it halts the print for some other reason but I really doubt it stops just because you lose connection to internet.

There are lots of log files.  You can put an USB flash drive in and go to maintenance menu and have it put all the logs onto the flash drive then bring it over to another computer to analyze.

By the way the log files are intimidating at first but if you open a few of them and look at the date and times you'll quickly see that you only need 2 of them and only maybe 1 or 2 logged messages are from the time when your print failed.  Then you can post the relevant file (the one that logged during the day of your failure) here and I'll try to tag someone at UM who knows the right firmware person to inform.

ok ive got the log, am i looking for the file that was "about" the time where i think the failure occurred?

No.  Look inside the files.  There should be date and time at the start of every line (if I remember right).  I think there are files that end in "log" and ".log" is the newest and ".log0" is older and ".log1" even older.  If I remember right.  And then I think there is some different extension with similar situation where only one of the files covers the week (or day) when you had the issue.

Once you get the right day, you can search for things like "error" or "fail".  Post the whole file and tell us what you found. 

Next time this happens write down the date and time when you approached the printer and saw the message so you know it's whatever is in the log file just before that date and time.

Thanks I'll do that next week as it's the weekend now. I know the time of the fail so that should help. I'll report back, cheers!

i have the logs but i dont think what i need is there... it only records the last print job, is that correct? i cant find anything with a timestamp near where the failure occurred, and i did run a successful job after the failure. I think the file is sensor_data.log?

I'm not sure.  Not every failure seems to get logged.  I vaguely remember there are different things in log files with different names?  I don't remember.

Let's just chalk this one off, I can't find anything that relates to it. Next time it happens I'll get the log immediately.

Thanks for the help though.