Cura 5.1.1 doesn't launch on OSX 10.15.7, Cura 4.13 does

Bzguy

Posted · Cura 5.1.1 doesn't launch on OSX 10.15.7, Cura 4.13 does

hi all,

I just tried to install Cura 5.1.1 on my MacBook Air running OSX 10.15.7 (Catalina).

However, when starting Cura, it doesn't even launch, the icon bounces a couple of times then stops.
Uninstalling, re-downloading en re-installing doesn't help ...

I tried to find the log files, but for 5.1.1 there is not even the 5.1.1 directory in /Library/Application Support/cura

I installed Cura 4.13, runs without any issues ...

Please note that Cura 5.1.1 has been running on the same laptop before, I just freshly reinstalled the OS.

Exactly ... it ran up to 2 days ago, version 5.1.0, not 5.1.1

And indeed, version 5.1.1 was released very recently, I didn't notice the release date when downloading the latest version ..

5.1.0 installed, and I confirm it is working just fine. 

mea culpa ... still don't know why 5.1.1 would NOT run, where 5.1.0 does 😉

Posted (edited) · Cura 5.1.1 doesn't launch on OSX 10.15.7, Cura 4.13 does

Hi, I'm also still on Catalina and have just run into the same problem; 5.1.1 wont run on Catalina. Is this a glitch or is Catalina locked at 5.1.0 ?

If so, how can I get a copy of 5.1? I looked up the download files and whilst it's listed, there doesn't appear to be a file available anymore. 5.1.1 is the only release available.

Edited by deger

No idea about catalina but you don't need 5.1.1.  It is only needed for the newest Ultimaker printers that have newer chips  (you know - chip shortarge?) which I assume haven't started shipping yet or only just started shipping.

Thanks gr5. Happy with 5.1 but mistakenly allowed it 5.1.1 to replace it and now I can't launch Cura. Does anyone have the link for the older version of Cura?

OK, I answered my own question: I just discovered the 'Assets' button in the downloads section...doh!  Downloaded 5.1 and all is working as before. I wonder what changed in 5.1.1 ???

1 hour ago, deger said:

OK, I answered my own question: I just discovered the 'Assets' button in the downloads section...doh!  Downloaded 5.1 and all is working as before. I wonder what changed in 5.1.1 ???

Apple, in their infinite wisdom, has set up their ecosystem so that you have to compile software on their hardware and software. That on itself isn't too bad of an issue, were it not that it also prevents you from compiling for older versions than the operating system that you use.

We rely on remote builders to create apple builds for us, so we don't have full control over what exact version of the operating system that they run. In this case, the OS was updated in between the creation of 5.1.0 and 5.1.1. As such, different versions of the OS are suddenly supported.

Thanks for that explaination Nallath. I understand.  I'll stick with 5.1 which is working very well thank you 🙂

Hi @nallath I don't mind upgrading my Mac OS, but I would prefer install Big Sur (Mac OS X 11.7)  instead of Montery (Mac OS X 12.6).

Do you know if Big Sur will work with Cura 5.1.1  ? If not, any chance in the future Cura versions to have it work again with Mac OS Catalina (10.15.7) ?

Thanks!

3 hours ago, vwpollen said:

Hi @nallath I don't mind upgrading my Mac OS, but I would prefer install Big Sur (Mac OS X 11.7)  instead of Montery (Mac OS X 12.6).

I don't think that 11.7 will work at all.

3 hours ago, vwpollen said:

If not, any chance in the future Cura versions to have it work again with Mac OS Catalina (10.15.7) ?

It would take a lot of work for us to support it. As such, I don't think it's very likely.

On 9/20/2022 at 1:58 PM, nallath said:

I don't think that 11.7 will work at all.

It would take a lot of work for us to support it. As such, I don't think it's very likely.

Thank you for the clarifications! 
    Unfortunately we have at the office a few old Mac that can be upgraded only to Catalina, so these computers will stick to Cura 5.1.0

Cura 5.1 works in Catalina 10.15. Any Cura beyond that (5.1.1 and above) is not working. It is bad...

We have a list of supported OSses here:
    https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360011889579

It also lists what the last supported OS was for your OS if it's no longer supported. 

• Like 1

Exatcly, 5.1.0 is last one to run on OS X 10.15.x Monterey. It failed on 5.1.1 an on. Most recent I tried was 5.1.2

I tested on a 10.15.7 on

(MacBook Pro, 15-inch, Early 2013) 2.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536MBimage.thumb.png.b983f1557e50e2fa0ed98142108b77ee.png