Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
gr5

Don't have a heated chamber? Print one!

Seems like there were major problems with that print though :p

Making a "real" heated chamber will waste no material at all...

With the printer in the picture it would be a big deal making a chamber for it because there doesn't seem to be much of a frame. But the Ultimaker with it's frame is very easy to upgrade...

I'm working on a design for a front side door, but that's going to take a while because my to do list is getting longer and longer...

@ JonnyBischof: I´m also working on a front door for my UM1. Currently the hinge placement make a bit problems as the frame window is curved, in the upper corners there is very low space and I don´t want to drill holes in the frame. So I´m aiming for somthing to glue in place or to snap on... :-)

Maybe we should join forces??

Seems like there were major problems with that print though

My understanding from the original poster is that the part itself came out fine. The "problems" are only with the shield and were caused by shrinking/cooling and didn't occur on the actual part.

Making a "real" heated chamber will waste no material at all...

So true! :) But the steppers will get hotter.

My understanding from the original poster is that the part itself came out fine. The "problems" are only with the shield and were caused by shrinking/cooling and didn't occur on the actual part.

So true! :) But the steppers will get hotter.

You've got a point here... I'll go for direct drive so I won't have to worry. But if someone doesn't, the printed "heated chamber" could be good option.

@ JonnyBischof: I´m also working on a front door for my UM1. Currently the hinge placement make a bit problems as the frame window is curved, in the upper corners there is very low space and I don´t want to drill holes in the frame. So I´m aiming for somthing to glue in place or to snap on... :smile:

Maybe we should join forces??

I've only started with the top hinge yet. My approach is very simple: Integrate the hinge into the cover for the linear shaft. I just made that cover a little bit longer and added a hinge to it.

But maybe we should make another thread for that :)

I've only started with the top hinge yet. My approach is very simple: Integrate the hinge into the cover for the linear shaft. I just made that cover a little bit longer and added a hinge to it.

But maybe we should make another thread for that :)

Top hinge is a good idea as it is much more simple than side hinges.

To start a seperate thread is a good idea as we can focus on the topic and not hijacking this thread :-)