Cura (every version to 5.1) can't connect to Creality Ender 5 via USB

Printofules

Posted · Cura (every version to 5.1) can't connect to Creality Ender 5 via USB

In every version of Cura until today there is needed a modification of the AutodetectBaudJob.py in the share\cura\plugins\usbprinting folder, to connect to the Ender 5 or the BigTreeTech Mainboards via USB.

To get them to work you need to outcomment these lines:

programmer = Stk500v2()
        serial = None
        # try:
        #     programmer.connect(self._serial_port)
        #     serial = programmer.leaveISP()
        # except ispBase.IspError:
        #     programmer.close()

Please fix and use in following versions.

• Like 1

Hey @Printofules

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community 🎉

Thank you for sharing this fix 😄

Do I understand correctly that you are suggesting to comment out a number of lines because they are blocking your flow? 
I can bring it up to the team to see what they think of shipping this by default 💪

But I expect that we'll have to find users with an 
Ender 5 or the BigTreeTech Mainboard to confirm if it works and we'll have to find a way to learn if this change is not preventing other users from printing via USB. 🤔

• 2 weeks later...
    Posted (edited) · Cura (every version to 5.1) can't connect to Creality Ender 5 via USB

Thought this has worked for me, but i may have spoken too soon.  Needs some further investigation on my part.

Edited by Major_Blink
    think i spoke too soon

• 1 month later...

@MariMakes

My printers didn't connect but give out a alert sound with these lines in.

Since this workaround does it, you could simply outcomment it by default, yes.

Maybe a developer got a better idea on this.

Thanks for caring.

Posted (edited) · Cura (every version to 5.1) can't connect to Creality Ender 5 via USB

The purpose of allowing 5 volts to a mainboard is to cause an "External Reset" of the mainboard (if one was required for some reason).  The pin could have easily been left unconnected where the USB socket connects to the mainboard.  This makes me think something is different about your firmware.

Most Creality printers (my Ender 3 Pro included) don't have a problem with the 5 volt power supply coming into the USB.  When the USB cable is initially connected from the printer to a powered-up computer, it causes an external reset and the printer re-boots.  That happens whether or not a print server (or Cura) is running at the time.  The mere connection does not "open" the port for communication.  It does however "power" the board.

My printer is currently running a Creality1.1.5 mainboard and I have a 4.2.7 mainboard as well.  Both react the same way to the 5 volt signal and neither has an issue with it.  Neither has a problem with the Cura "USB Printing" plugin as both boards connect just fine.

Edited by GregValiant