Temperature setting.

donmilne

Posted · Temperature setting.

I know that the temperature setting is now stored in the printer (UM2). However, if I use another slicer for one job - and this one overrides the temperature, then I use Cura for a second job, does the printer return to the default material temperature, or does it continue using the override?

If I ask the printer, it shows me (say) the PLA profile - 220C, but I'm not convinced that was the temperature it was actually using, because the cooldown display showed ~260C, a temp I had set for a special print intended to clear a filament blockage.

"Tune menu"? I don't remember seeing one in the UM2.

@IRobertl: Thanks for that. I'll keep an eye out tho. The cooldown display definitely showed 259C, but it's possibly just an approximate value.

The tune menu option is shown as long as something is printing. Right at the bottom of the screen it says "Tune" and "Abort", I don't see how you can miss it.

It's not an approximate value, that would be very bad. Either something is wrong with your sensor or you just forgot that you had changed something.

The tune menu option is shown as long as something is printing. Right at the bottom of the screen it says "Tune" and "Abort", I don't see how you can miss it.

Ah, right. Now that you mention it I do remember seeing that.

It's not an approximate value, that would be very bad. Either something is wrong with your sensor or you just forgot that you had changed something.

Changed it how and where? I could hardly forget using the Tune menu, and you said above that a new print with Cura would reset the temperature back to default (*). If the temp sensor has failed after only two weeks then I'll not be best pleased.

(*) Are you still sure about that? In the materials menu I see PLA, ABS and Custom. ISTM possible that non-default values could be stored in "Custom" and would apply until I explicitly selected PLA again from that menu.

If you are using other slicers, then the "override" will only be on that file, not on all files. It doesn't change the settings in the machine.

Thanks for that very clear answer.

Ah, right. Now that you mention it I do remember seeing that.

Changed it how and where? I could hardly forget using the Tune menu, and you said above that a new print with Cura would reset the temperature back to default (*). If the temp sensor has failed after only two weeks then I'll not be best pleased.

(*) Are you still sure about that? In the materials menu I see PLA, ABS and Custom. ISTM possible that non-default values could be stored in "Custom" and would apply until I explicitly selected PLA again from that menu.

Hello,

My first post but on your last section question (I have just received a ultimaker 2 if they helps because of possible rev changes) - wasn't answered:

You asked: if in the materials menu I see PLA, ABS and Custom. ISTM possible that non-default values could be stored in "Custom" and would apply until I explicitly selected PLA again from that menu.

I am curious also, do settings in custom hold for temperature etc. Or if you answered it, forgive my newbieness

Thanks!

It's best just to play with it. There are many ways to set temperature. If in cura you choose "rep rap" mode (not recommended for UM2 but you can do it) then you can choose temperature there and it's one of the first lines in gcode that sets the temperature.

With normally sliced Cura gcode files there is no gcode to set the temperature and instead it starts off at the default temp for that material. You can tell the printer what material you have e.g. ABS, PLA. Each material has a default starting temp (and heated bed temp and retraction distance and retraction speed and filament diameter). Those 5 parameters are stored with the filament type.

You can change these defaults if you click customize. Before customizing slect the material you want to change. Then click customize, change one of the values, save it and select the material to save the settings into (e.g. PLA).

You can also save to "new" materials and they are called CUSTOM1 CUSTOM2, etc.

You can also save all these to the SD card, open on a computer and edit the names of the materials and settings, put the SD card back into UM2 and load the new custom settings. That way you can have new material names e.g. "PET".

Once you start printing, if any line in the gcode specifies temperature it will jump to that temperature. Or if you go to TUNE menu you can see the current temperature and change it.

So the safest way to know for sure what temperature you are printing at is to go to the TUNE menu after it starts printing and set it to whatever you want. But if you keep using the same temp every time then it's easiest to set it up once by customizing your filament (e.g. PLA).

gr5,

Thank you so much for the explanation, there is simply so much to learn on 3D printing, and this forum is why I choose the Ultimaker 2.

Others have said that ABS smells bad like burnt plastic, but both my wife and I can smell PLA after 2 hours in a 4 hour print. Does anyone (or maybe everyone does already) use some type of an exhaust system?

I have only printed 3 items at 210C which wasn't bad, but I just out of curiosity and per a tech at fbrc8 (called them originally on temp and original "bead" not sticking to bed) they said to adjust head temp to 220C or even 230C.

So I printed 3 more of the same items at 220C and it makes the PLA smell almost unbearable. Maybe my nose is to sensitive, therefore in order to enjoy more 3D printing, I am looking for a good type of exhaust fan.

Bottom line though, my grand total of 6 pieces that I printed plus the robot, all turned out pretty good.

Again, thank you and the forum!

Newbie!