My Ultimaker 2 Extended + Can't Read My SD Card and I Need It For My Biz!

3DNetZero

Posted · My Ultimaker 2 Extended + Can't Read My SD Card and I Need It For My Biz!

Hey everyone, 

The universe has a sense of humor because leading to my business launch, my UM2E+ decides to stop reading my SD card with all my G-codes. There is a new SD card on the one so I will try that but I've read somewhere I would have to replace the ulticontroller overall in general if that doesn't work...Given my warranty expired a long time ago and ulticontroller is around $90, I was thinking of replacing it myself.

Before I do that though, I was wondering if anyone else had a similar problem and if they fixed it. Please help! My pre-launch is in a month and my launch is by end of the year!

Any feedback would be appreciated! Thank you!

Posted · My Ultimaker 2 Extended + Can't Read My SD Card and I Need It For My Biz!

I would try copying the files on to your computer and then re formatting the SD card, return the files to the SD and try again, I have had similar problems which the above resolved

Good luck, also for the business too

@stu_le_brew thank you for the kind words and advice

I have just reformatted the SD card on my computer yet it still doesn't work.

Prior to not working at all, I had an issue where my card wouldn't read unless i held the card in with some pressure and duct taped so it wouldn't come out...

Safe to say its the ulticontroller that needs fixing? SD card is operational when hooked into my ANKER SD card reader for my laptop but just not my printer 😕

1 hour ago, 3DNetZero said:

Prior to not working at all, I had an issue where my card wouldn't read unless i held the card in with some pressure and duct taped so it wouldn't come out...

Safe to say its the ulticontroller that needs fixing?

Sounds like a physical problem with the SD card being recognized.
    Before blaming the printer, double check your SD card. See this thread where the SD card had physical damage and was missing a piece of the frame where the card detection circuit probes for presence. I suggest you try with another SD card first.

A replacement Ulticontroller costs indeed $90 and is relative easy to replace.

When you are confident with a soldering iron, then you could first try to resolder the solder pads marked in the picture below.

ulticontroller.jpg

The SD card connector looks like to be the Hirose DM1AA-SF-PEJ, available for about $5.

Posted (edited) · My Ultimaker 2 Extended + Can't Read My SD Card and I Need It For My Biz!

@CarloK You are indeed correct! My SD card chipped 2 days ago when my printer stopped working but waved it off without much thought because it still reads on my ANKER SD card reader to my laptop… 

I did order a new 128 gig sd card but from what I heard from FBRC8, they said the printer will only read 32 gig cards at max..

Any last advice for a strongly recommended card before I cancel my Amazon order again? Haha 😅

C0A9992F-B7C0-4453-ACEA-23CDCB162267.jpeg

Edited by 3DNetZero
    • Like 1

Great that you could confirm it's the SD card which is damaged!

Newer card types and higher capacities are being released continuously and I don't know where the UM2's limit is. Perhaps a 128Gb card formatted with FAT32 will work (though most likely not at the 128Gb capacity as FAT32 was designed for 32Gb maximum). This is where Ultimaker's official 32Gb maximum stems from (and we just didn't care to test larger cards when those became available).

Practically, 4Gb is large enough for any 3D printjob you would ever create. I would suggest to buy whatever you can get that's between the 4Gb and 32Gb.