What is this object?

vahakn

Posted · What is this object?

Mine doesn't fit =(

It says it goes in like a key + key hole, then you rotate 90 deg. until a little tab clicks into a hole. However the bit that goes inside the keyhole doesn't go in far enough, so I can't rotate it.

The piece is actually well made, so I can't even bend it to force it in, not that I really want to on my new printer.

I suppose if I want this, i might have to print my own.

Leave it. IMHO there is no reason to use the filament guide. It's at the wrong place actually. On my UM2 filament goes directly from the spool on the holder into the feeder; and it works great.

Yeah I agree with Dim3, just forget about it, its useless.

I realized it wasn't properly made (injection mold i'm guessing) and filed down that tab. I got it in now.

At first I didn't care, but then the filament started rubbing the feeder enclosure and making a loud squeeking. I put the guide in to stop it, but I think i'm gonna have to get the filament to go under the power cable so it goes in straight up.

From my experience the guide actually enhances the squeaking sound..

Having your filament run under your power chord is a good idea as well.

I think the filament guide (additional part) was mainly intended for dual extrusion (when it will be released).

It makes more sense given where it is located..

It's a mechanism to train the invisible unicorn that lives in the printer. Not used anymore as we removed the feeding slot for said unicorn, so most of them die before anyone recieves the printer.

It's a mechanism to train the invisible unicorn that lives in the printer. Not used anymore as we removed the feeding slot for said unicorn, so most of them die before anyone recieves the printer.

Oh dear, what a sad story... :cry:

Fortunately, the unicorn in my printer survived and is quite well, jumping all the time from the UM Original to the UM2 and back again. And it is wishfully waiting for its pink counterpart... ;)

Nallath, how many times did I tell you to open up a window if you keep using ABS :wink:

As I've noted elsewhere, I don't use the filament guide either. But if you want to, it's not too hard to get it to fit - just cut or file a slight chamfer on the back of the keyhole tab part.

How to modify filament holder to fit