Installing Ultimaker S5 R2 Motherboard into an Ultimaker S3

othermod
Go to solution Solved by IRobertI,

Posted · Installing Ultimaker S5 R2 Motherboard into an Ultimaker S3

Good afternoon, 
I am attempting to use an Ultimaker S5 R2 motherboard in a Ultimaker S3, and I am experiencing an issue.

My problem is that after flashing the S3 firmware, printer still configures itself as an S5. 

I investigated a bit, and I believe the problem is that the S3 firmware file hosted on the site is not actually the S3 firmware.

I checked files for the S5 and the S3, and it appears that they are identical, and I believe this is source of the problem. I did an MD5 check, and they both give a result of d96f18de0945f32facdff7a07afd4306.

I used this firmware recovery process to flash the S3 firmware onto the S5 board.
https://support.makerbot.com/s/article/1877434822572

Does anyone have the actual S3 recovery image?

Alternatively, maybe I'm entirely wrong and there is some other mechanism that's used to tell the Linux board that it is in an S5 vs an S3. If that's the case, please let me know. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Posted · Installing Ultimaker S5 R2 Motherboard into an Ultimaker S3
    13 minutes ago, IRobertI said:

The boards are the same, but they need to be "provisioned" so that they know which type of printer they are installed in. Instructions for that can be found here:
    https://support.makerbot.com/s/article/1667410987665

That worked perfectly. Thank you so much for helping with this.