UMS5 Support Structure - Support is too thick and it is impossible to remove

lukewjarboe

Posted · UMS5 Support Structure - Support is too thick and it is impossible to remove

Hi there,

I am having an issue with the support wall thickness on my UMS5. As you can see from the photos, the support is far too thick (as thick as a regular printed part feature) and is firmly attached to the part, as if it were meant to be a permanent feature of the part. No Cura support structure settings were changed. I am using Cura 5.2.1. Is this a common problem on UMS5 printers/cura? I also have a Raise3D Pro3 printer and the support comes off easily and is printed thinner and is less "stuck" to the main part body.  Can someone please help me with this? I find it hard to believe that the printer is unable to print easily removable supports...

I am printing with PLA on the 0.2mm setting. Wall line count was set to 3 (instead of 2), but this is not reflected in the support thickness, to my knowledge. In addition, the part looks rather shoddy - but that is another issue entirely. You can see the outer wall line thickness (the support structure) in Pic1.1.

Pic1.2 Shows me trying to remove the support with clippers and having to tear it up to try and get it off the part.

Can someone please help me? Can anything be done to prevent / fix / address this?

Pic1.1.jpg

Pic1.2.jpg

Posted (edited) · UMS5 Support Structure - Support is too thick and it is impossible to remove

I'm not very familiar with the UM machines but in general...

• I suppose #1 is using a different material for the support so it doesn't stick to the model as well.  That will allow you to break it away or dissolve it, without harming the model.
    • Under Material Settings are "Support Flow" and "Support Interface Flow".  I found that running them at 90% created a weaker structure that was easier to collapse and remove.
    • On a small model (like you show there), it's going to need "Support Wall Count" at 1.  When "Connect Support Lines" is checked then a second wall is created around much of the support and so it's stronger.  You will need to experiment and look closely at the preview to insure the your support won't need its own support.
    • If you must grow support from the model itself, and the model and support are the same material - have the "Support Top Distance" at 1X layer height but the "Support Bottom Distance" set to 2X layer height.  That will leave a cleaner bottom surface and make it easier to remove.  You really can't change the Support Top Distance much as it directly affects model geometry.
    • A cold interface won't allow the "Roof" to stick to it as well.  (To toot my own horn, I have a plugin in the works to address finer control of the fan).  Putting the interface down at a slow speed allows it to cool off before the roof goes on.  On a small part like you have there, your going to be bouncing off the Minimum Print Speed anyway so you don't have a lot of flexibility there.
    • Floor and roof interfaces at least 4 layers thick can help.  If nothing else, it allows easier access for a hobby knife to get in there to pare it away.
    • You will need to play with the "Interface density" to find an optimum.  It will be denser for small parts and less dense on large parts.

In the end though, a good set of "support removal tools" is a must.  Being able to work the support out of tight places and leave the cleanest surface possible is a learned skill and requires some practice.

@MariMakes is from UM and is a moderator here.  She does a lot of work with smallish models and may have a take on the support issue as well.

Edited by GregValiant

Posted · UMS5 Support Structure - Support is too thick and it is impossible to remove

Luke, What material are you printing? With the S5, you can use PVA or breakaway in the second nozzle and get great results. Did you design the support yourself? or did you let Cura build the support structure? Your photos of the object look really odd to me, are you using the 0.8 nozzle? I don't think we have enought info to really help you. Just guessing here.

Luke, 

Have you tried without support? That part isn't vary tall. As long as there isn't any overhangs (it doesn't look like it). You shouldn't need support on that object at all. I would have tried first to print without any supports.