Shipping charges

jenschr

Posted · Shipping charges

Hi,

Just now I wanted to order two spare nozzles for my Ultimaker. The price would be 47.31 EUR. It's bad enough that the nozzles themselves are $15 each, but shipping two tiny bits of copper using DHL is just crazy. I really want to have the "Untracked mail" option back...

I suggested this a few months back, but the reply was that this disappeared with the new Shop and that it might be added back. Can you? Please? Pretty please with sugar on top?

:-P

hmmmm.. with sugar you say?..

We are not going to implement the untraced option back, because of the fact that it was well.. untrackable.

I understand it was cheap, but on long distance destinations it was not uncommon that packages got lost or took several weeks to arrive. Because we do not have a tracking number available it left us in an uncomfortable situation because we did know where the order was.

We considered implementing PostNL with track and trace, but especially for the long distance shipments it was not that much cheaper then DHL.

As always, we are working hard and talking with DHL to bring the prices down for shipping.

I do a lot of shipping for the aluminum parts I produce and sell to fellow robot builders.

Here in the United States, the US Postal Service offers flat-rate services for certain box sizes ("If it fits, it ships") but there is also limited tracking. But that's from here.

Receiving from other countries, such as Ultimaker or when I contract out the fabrication of a part to Europe or Asia, DHL has proven over and over again to be the best. Cheaper than FedEx and UPS most times, I have never had a DHL shipment go missing or get damaged.

So while I may not always like the costs of shipping...DHL has always done right for me

• 1 month later...

How about doing like the Chinese? You ship as normal mail, but require that it's signed for at the post office? I think this is called Registered mail or something similar. Must be cheaper than DHL?

J

How about doing like the Chinese? You ship as normal mail, but require that it's signed for at the post office? I think this is called Registered mail or something similar. Must be cheaper than DHL?

Heh, here in the USA registered mail is an addition of $13.66, and you are required to go to the post office (you can't have them pickup those, even if you are a business.) A 1oz (up to 3oz) parcel costs $6.16 to ship internally, so we're at almost $20. Better to pay $10 more or so for DHL, as it's much faster.

Though, the USPS has been offering tracking for many first class in'tl packages, a huge change from before :)

what about ordering the spare parts from china (or somewhere else) until Ultimaker gets their act together?

Ping Jason for the compatibility and cost to ship this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161143527489

Jason sells a heated bed for UM and has a good rep. The bed was shipped for free.