Lift Switch Error

T0pher
Go to solution Solved by T0pher,

Posted (edited) · Lift Switch Error

I am having trouble with a Lift switch error on the Ultimaker S5. It is currently up to date on the most current firmware which is 8.1.1. Basically any time I do the lift switch calibration it looks as if it works. But as soon as I start a print and the print head moves over to flip the switch it misses just barely. I've already power cycled the machine, and as I stated I updated the firmware to the most current version. I also made sure that the belts were tight and not loose. Does anyone have any ideas to what could be causing this? I will include 2 short video clips so you can see what is happening. The lift switch video is how it looks when I calibrate and it. In the print start video you can see what the problem is when it moves to flip the switch.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lhfx048i62vh0lh/Calibration.MOV?dl=0   Lift switch calibration

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hn89orvareilp5l/Print Start.MOV?dl=0 Print Start

error.jpg

Edited by T0pher

Posted · Lift Switch Error

Is your #2 PrintCore fully inserted correctly? it should be lit up during these tests I think? You should be able to visually confirm the nozzle moving up and down when you toggle the lift switch by hand.

I have removed both cores, and reinserted them to be sure. The nozzle does move up and down by hand. It basically just seems like it doesn't save the calibration. During calibration it works fine, but as soon as I start a print it moved over to flip the switch and misses.

Posted (edited) · Lift Switch Error

As far as I can see you performed the calibration just fine. The behavior in the second movieclip is normal. At the beginning of the printjob the printer makes no assumptions on the position of the lift switch. The move that you see is to make sure the switch of towards the front of the printhead.

What error do you run into when you leave the printer to finish this printjob?

Edited by tomnagel

The first probe is supposed to be done with the right nozzle, and the second probe with the left core. 
    Then the grid probing should be done with the left nozzle. 

I think the best thing you can do is create a support ticket on our website

I would check your Y Limit Switch, its just out of view on both of the videos so I cant tell.

But generally when the lift switch is not being toggled properly its a sigh that your limit switch is damaged.

Y0pher, did you get this fixed? I am having a similar issue and can't fix it... (Email julia @ makergirl . us if you feel inclined to help me!). When I try to manually move the lift switch it doesnt move either so i cant figure out how to fix this. I also have the most updated software! 

4 hours ago, MakerGirl said:

Y0pher, did you get this fixed? I am having a similar issue and can't fix it... (Email julia @ makergirl . us if you feel inclined to help me!). When I try to manually move the lift switch it doesnt move either so i cant figure out how to fix this. I also have the most updated software! 

If you cant manually move the lift switch, that generally means the head was not reassembled properly. 
    See section "Switch function broken" here: https://support.makerbot.com/s/article/000002889

• Solution

After contacting support we discovered the problem was actually with the axes being unaligned. When looking down on top of the printer the Y axe was slightly at an angle. After adjusting it is now hitting the lift switch as it should. I'll include the link to the instructions they sent me.

https://ultimakernasupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004168943-Aligning-the-Axes

• Like 1