Ultimaker S5 70 days/2000m PLA printed AA 0.40 Nozzle Not Extruding

Posted · Ultimaker S5 70 days/2000m PLA printed AA 0.40 Nozzle Not Extruding

I did clean the nozzle multiple times both hot and cold, then starts working fine but after a day or two, it stops and giving the missing material message, i did repplace the material, i did check the feeder, what can be the problem? It is a new nozzle that I purchased from the distributer. Can this be a faulty nozzle problem?

thank you

murat

As your issue sounds to be some what random.. It would lead me to believe the issue is related to your UltiMaker Cura profile.
    Possibly your printing with the extruder too cold or speed too fast.

Additionally it would be worth checking the front cooling fan to make sure its clean and spinning correctly 

Thank you very much for the feedbacks, yes this is a new problem, I do have 3 printers and I am having this problem with one of the printer, 99% printing PLA and Breakaway, after reading Dustins feedbacks, I did check the fun and I did start another print with setting the print temp 15 degree more may be this can be a solution. 

I will update you soon.

Thank you

3 hours ago, Dadkitess said:

UM official PrintCores are... Really prone to clogging unfortunately, including using the official filament material. PVA especially, which is really a veeeeeery bad filament, among the worst when it comes to soluble support, but it also happens quite open with basic PLA Tough.

This is simply not true. Tens of thousands of customers are happily printing thousands of hours with a single print core without any clogging. I dare to say the Ultimaker print cores are amongst the most reliable designs in the market. More than 5000h of printing is no exception. Printing with Ultimaker materials will give you this reliability out of the box. You are very welcome to print with other materials, but that may require some tuning some print settings. 

You have said multiple times now that you have bad experiences with PVA. PVA is the most difficult material that we have. 

It is however possible to print reliably. It takes dry filament and a clean BB core. 

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker S5 70 days/2000m PLA printed AA 0.40 Nozzle Not Extruding

Yes, PVA is notoriously difficult to print. But UM PVA is perhaps the most terrible of them, and need to be changed. UMS5 is sold a reliable 2 head printers that will work "plug an play" with theses specifications and... It's not.

I'm also talking of Ultimaker PLA and other UM material but let's stick to PLA as it's the most common and easy filament to print : i've already have had about 5-8 clogged printcore, with dedicated one (and shared material ones), regular hot / cold pull. It's not a bad batch, it's using the original delivered printcore as well as new one(s) a year after. It's while using Cura (multiple versions, stable ones as well as some rare betas ones) with UM profile, I don't change a thing regarding temperature, flow, speed, etc. Obviously, I play with other parameters that might have an impact, but I've never been able to clog ANY printer head on ANY other machine I've worked on, for the past 6 years. Like, not a single one.

Edit : must precise here that these PLA fail occurred during multi-material print, using the 2 heads. I guess 100% of those fail were PLA/PVA, PVA would struggle as usual but PLA did sometimes, as well.

So there is something wrong. My local reseller made a anual check, and was quite amazed of the state of the machine, almost brand new since we maintain it correctly, even if it already print for about 1000+h.

So nope, can't agree and I will keeping saying this to balance "all the people that are glad using it" : it gives a wrong idea of ultimaker machine and ecosystem or at least not a complete overview : it's also quite common that people here complain about very bad design flaws about the machine itself, unreliability, etc. I've bought UM because of its very good press, brand being deployed on big names company, etc, and it's by far the machine that totalize the most amount of failed prints and headaches. Fair enough, I ask it a bit more thanks to its 2 printcores configuration that has an logic and legit impact but it should never be marketed as a realiable machine.

Oh, and the local reseller here actually say that, indeed, there is quite a lot of customer service to help company with their failing / bugged down / not working properly UMS5. 

Edited by Dadkitess

We did start with Ultimaker 2 then 2+ extended etc... and now we have 2 S5 and 1S3, we are printing average 8kg PLA+Breakaway each month. All print cores needed to be replaced by time, maximum we were able to use was 410 Days 21 Hours (10K Hours) with 9024 meter. I believe we are lucky that all 3 Ultimakers are working like clock, but these last nozzles we are not happy as I mentioned at the beginning, with Dustins feedback I changed the temp from 200C to 210C for the last 5 hours, it looks like it is working, I hope changing the temp will be enough to solve my problem.

I've never had an AA 0.4 core that clogged or needed cleaning.  The most common problem that *seems* like a clogged core is the front fan - over many months of cleaning, tiny threads of filament get in the fan and eventually clog the fan.  It's easy to keep printing and not notice and the symptom is that the filament gets stuck in the area of the core under the heatsink.

PVA does indeed caramelize and I have had semi-clogs but never an actual clog.  I find that I can usually just heat up the PVA and do the MOVE command to get all the brown and black bits out the nozzle.  Because I rarely use PVA, the little bit of PVA heats up everytime the printer does active leveling (it would be nice if the firmware only did the left core and only heated the left core if that's all that is needed for a print!).

So because of this, the PVA gets quite a bit caramelized in my core but even so I've never had a full on clog on my UM3 nor my S5.

Dear gr5 what is the materials you are using? And at what temp? I am using 99% PLA and for support Breakaway. I did replace the front fan about 1 year ago and I am cleaning monthly. AA 0.40 nozzles do get clogged, both PLA and Breakaway.

What brand of materials? 
    Do you use the standard profiles in Cura? If not, what changes do you make?

When you get a clogged core, what does the lifetime counter of the core say? (Can be found in “about this printer” I believe)

I am using eSun PLA+ white, and Ultimaker Breakaway. I have been using the standart setting for Generic PLA. At 200C, the clogged core is only 70days / 2000m PLA printed. 

You say you have done 70 days or around 1700h of printing with this print core, and you use a 3rd party material with the default settings for PLA. 
    I can’t explain why you have this clogging, I am sorry. 
    I would not call a nozzle that printed 1700 hours new, however. 

Yes you have a point, but the old nozzles survived over 10000 hours, this is why i was thinking 70 days is kind of new.

The only time I've noticed clogging is with TPU, so when I print lots of that I do more routine printcore cleanings.

Dang, 10000 hours feels like a crazy amount to expect from a brass nozzle to me.

16 hours ago, gr5 said:

I've never had an AA 0.4 core that clogged or needed cleaning.  The most common problem that *seems* like a clogged core is the front fan - over many months of cleaning, tiny threads of filament get in the fan and eventually clog the fan.  It's easy to keep printing and not notice and the symptom is that the filament gets stuck in the area of the core under the heatsink.

With which material are you printing AA 0.40, and did you ever replaced the nozzle? I mean how many hours did you used without cleaning and clogged free?   what can be the average lifespan for PLA. (9000m 410d 21h is this an exception)

Thank you very much

image.thumb.png.eb95f6d830ea8f459e3add0117a7214c.png   

410d 21h eSun PLA, I replaced this nozzle

image.thumb.png.5bd3968b3bc5cfa3a850b725fc6c6f7b.png

299d 10h Ultimaker Breakaway I am still using it

• Like 2