ER06 - How to test if Z Switch is broken?

Daviren
Go to solution Solved by Torgeir,

Posted · ER06 - How to test if Z Switch is broken?

All of a sudden, I am getting the "ER06 - Z Switch Stuck" error message. I also hear a weird grinding sound (I assume from the Z motor?) when I attempt to raise or lower the buildplate.

I am able to click the switch easily. The screw at the bottom of the buildplate isn't broken or bent. I reflashed my firmware.

I want to test the Z Switch next, but I'm not sure how to test it with the multimeter. What should I be doing? Are there any other tests I should perform?

I just want to update this with a couple of things:

I unhooked the Z-motor and gave the leadscrew a good clean and lube. I noticed a scorch mark on the Z-motor plug (photo attached).

I tested moving the buildplate from Cura. It made a horrible noise, and it seemed to lower no mater which direction I tried to move it. (I hit the up arrow twice, then the down arrow twice.)

When I tried to move the buildplate down manually, it felt locked until I turned my machine off.

IMG_8225.jpg

• Solution

Hi @Daviren,

If this is the Z stepper, it looks like there have been a loose crimping at this burned contact.

This might be true as the burn mark is high up on the connector.

With the right tool and a new connector this should be an easy fix..

Thanks

Torgeir

Okay, that makes sense! Thank you!

@Torgeir The next time I pulled the plug out, a couple of the wires fell right out of the crimp! I got a new Z-motor and it's working beautifully. Once I get a crimping tool, I'll fix the connection on the original motor. (I got the crimp and some fresh connectors.) Thank you again!

• Like 1