Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
andete

Ultimaker 2/cura - ugliness on right-front side of print

Hey,

I'm trying to tune my still quite new Ultimaker 2 and am using this quite tricky item for it: https://www.thingiverse.com/make:61855 .

So far I've tried lowering speed, playing with different layer heights, slightly lowering the temperature, using support, and disabling "Combine Everything Type-A".

Plastic: Faberdashery black PLA. Printing at 210. 50mm/sec.

What I am seeing at all settings is ugliness on the front right sight of the print. I'm not sure whether this is a printer issue or a cura/slicing issue.

Picture of left side: http://damad.be/joost/attic/priv/um2_c_left.jpg

Picture of right side: http://damad.be/joost/attic/priv/um2_c_right.jpg

Do you have an idea what might be going wrong here? The left side clearly shows that the UM2 can print this properly without support, the right side on the other hand looks really ugly.

Thanks, Joost

Because of how the fans are arranged. If you look you'll notice that the right fan is further away from the nozzle. There's also a bit of metal in-between that can block air flow on small parts. On slightly larger parts this isn't a problem as the nozzle will move longer distances and allow both fans to hit the print (and it'll also take longer to print each layer so that it has more time to cool down). On small parts the head barely moves, so the right fan has a hard time getting in there to cool things off.

What you can do to help with this is to print more than one object at the same time, that way the head will jump between the two and each layer will get a chance to cool off a bit more.

Increasing the minimum layer time (within reason, too long and the nozzle will barely move thus dumping lots of heat into the print), printing colder, reducing bed temperature are other things that may improve the result.

If you just print at 30mm/sec instead of 50mm/sec it will have much more time to cool between layers and it should help quite a bit. Also the pressures in the nozzle will be lower so it won't over/underextrude every time it speeds up and slows down.

Printing slower always improves quality. I usually prefer to print fast.