Can Cura warn me if my model is below the build plate?

NTwoO

Posted · Can Cura warn me if my model is below the build plate?

When I import a model, sometimes the model has a section below the build plate. When printing this, a part of the print is not present. Is there a way to warn me? The drop down feature ensures that my build is not floating, but I also want a warning or action if it is the other way around.

Certain model file formats (3mf and OBJ for sure) may have location data within the model file.  If there is location data, then that will affect where the model is located when imported into Cura.  It could be anywhere.

If there is no location data then Cura will use the XY of the model's "Center of Geometry" and the Z of the lowest point of the model "bounding box".

When you select the model and activate the Move Tool (on the top of the left toolbar) it will show the model location including the Z.

When you right-click on the Cura build plate and select "Reset All Model Positions" the model will move to X0, Y0 with the lowest Z point touching the build plate.

There is no "popup" that will tell you the current model location upon load.

• Like 1

Like Greg said, with most models just make sure the Z coordinate is not below 0 when printing. It can actually be pretty useful to purposely move a part below the plate to "cut it off" instead of having to do it in CAD. Its also fairly easy to accidentally grab the wrong slider and drag the part down and find out the next day.🤣

When doing dual extrusion prints, combining the two models results in the combined model being moved down. It takes the average it seems.

1 hour ago, NTwoO said:

combining the two models results in the combined model being moved down

It should not do that.

Perhaps you can share your workflow with some screenshots and links to models, so we can follow along and see why Cura does what it does?

I figured it out. The models I have are quite big. So when I import the two models, one is outside the build plate. Seeing that I have to move it anyways, I start by selecting the materials for the two models, then merge, then move into the build area. With one model outside the build area, the merge does not auto raise, but centers on both of the models.

Included are 2 models that fit together. I used these to better understand the parameters of the interlock. With both models on the build plate, the merge works out fine raising the combined model on top of the build plate.  When one of the models are outside of the build plate such that the mean coordinates end up outside the build plate, the merge is not raised.

One of the models where I used the merge models, I have to scale the end result by .96 to fit on my print bed. The resulting merge was off by 0.7mm. That one had me guessing!

interlockflat1.stl interlockflat2.stl

Posted (edited) · Can Cura warn me if my model is below the build plate?

Hi @NTwoO,

Not trying to hijack anything here..

By following treads there are things to learn for sure..

So in my mind, this is a very good question.

I loaded your project into Cura and found a small object, so I thought this is inches but the object come together nicely as it should.

So I exported your project file into Autocad Fusion 360, to have an idea of the size and that was (60*150*150)mm. (?)

This was the whole rectangle horizontally divided in two.

Just created one of the two half and then exported the object as "stl file" to Cura.

Next step is to export it from Cura as: "Body1.stl"

My intention by this, is to make a copy of this object and name it: Body2.stl

When loading these two object in Cura, you may mark both object and load to Cura.

Due to the size of the two object, on will drop to the build plate and the other is outside.

If we assume the active nozzle 1 contain white PLA and nozzle 2 contain red PLA.

Now mark the object (mouse arrow) on the build plate. When the object is selected it will be white and the position offset (if any) will show up in the window *) left side for X, Y and Z. Make sure that all, X, Y and Z are set to 0 (zero).

-------------------------------------

A Note here: In the "old" Cura versions older than: 5.20 Beta:  There is one check box "Lock Model" in the window *)

In the newer Cura versions, including Cura 5.20 Beta: There is two check boxes "Lock Model" and "Drop Down Model" in the window *)

For those previous versions you'll need to go to Cura "Menu" Preference and select Configure Cura.

In this page you're inside General Settings, inside here you'll find checkbox "Automatically drop the model to the build plate".  This checkbox has to be unchecked in order to avoid the model to drop to the build plate and will be a must to make this work!

For the new versions you'll need to uncheck the checkbox "Drop Down Model" in the window *).

Now we're ready for Body2, just mark it as previous, then left mouse button and select Nozzle2.

While the Body2 is sill selected, set Z parameter in window *) to 30mm, then select X parameter to 0.

This should move your Body2 precise above Body1 and both objects form your model with the two colors.

Here are the two models, the mesh variant (model "glued") and the "manual" floating model variant.

Both are saved as project files for UMS3.

UMS3_interlockflat_mesh_variant.3mf

UMS3_interlockflat_floating_variant.3mf

Thanks

Torgeir

Edited by Torgeir
    Files added.