UM3. How so I switch from extruder 1 to extruder 2 and reverse.

Whiteknuckle

Posted (edited) · UM3. How so I switch from extruder 1 to extruder 2 and reverse.

UM3. How so I  switch from extruder 1 to extruder 2 and reverse. It is not in operating manual. I have used settings in the menu bar and settings in the Cura Prepare area. I simple wish to use either one of the extruders at will.

image.jpeg

Edited by Slashee_the_Cow
moved text to body and shortened title

Posted (edited) · UM3. How so I switch from extruder 1 to extruder 2 and reverse.

I'm not a UM person but I think this is just a Cura thing.

Look in the left side of the screen below the main toolbar.  There is a smaller toolbar with a "1" and a "2" in circles.  They are the extruder setting tools.

Select the model and then pick one of those buttons and the part will be set to that extruder.

You still need to go over settings like the Build Plate Adhesion and Support to see which extruder might be assigned to those features.

This should not be a problem on your printer but for those "other" printers - sometimes the StartUp gcode is configured to always start with extruder 1.  That can be a problem if you want to start with extruder 2 because (dependent on the printer) it may not have heated up.  Not all printers StartUp G-Codes have the problem, but a fair percentage do.

Edited by GregValiant

Posted · UM3. How so I switch from extruder 1 to extruder 2 and reverse.

Thank you. I have done that and also gone to the Menu Bar/ Settings/ Extruder 2 and Set as Active Extruder. I went to the same Settings/Extruder 1and Disable Extruder. I have tried different combinations of all those settings. There is a way to do it....surely. I had Extruder 2 printing at one time but I have never found the correct way to switch them.

Thank you but I carefully read your suggestion again. Yes, there is an Extruder 1 and Extruder 2 on the left and bottom of the model handling options. Yep, I selected Extruder 2 and it is working. Why oh why would they have those settings it two other locations with no reference as to why or how they relate with each other?  Go figure; I appreciate your help. I am not using the UM3 enough to need a full understanding of its works.

Hello, I have a problem with the extruder 2 motor driver. For this reason, I want to use the Extureder 2 connector on the motherboard for motor connection. I made this connection, but ext1 is still active in software, so the engine connected to ext2 does not work. Extruder number 2 cannot be selected for the Ultimaker 2/2+ printer on Cura software. Therefore I cannot activate ext2. How can I solve this problem? Thanks for your help by now.

Can

@Torgeir is good with the UM 2 printers.  Maybe he has a suggestion?

• Thanks 1

Hi @canaksaya,

The no 2 extruder port "has" to be activated as the "primary port" in the firmware.

The "firmware" is the program that's control the microprocessor on UM2's main PCB.

Modifying the firmware might be the bets way to go, I'll think.

Some third party "firmware's" may be used as well..

Someone else might chime in here. 🙂

In the meantime, I'll dig a little into this matter.

Thanks

Torgeir

Edited by Torgeir
    Text err.
    • Thanks 1

@Torgeir,

Thanks for your answer. Could you please share a link for third party firmware to do that? (Or link for orjiginal ***.ino -not hex-  ultimaker 2+ firmware)

There are several people who have switched drivers on this forum and most of them built their own custom UM2 firmware.  however most (half?  70%?) UM2+ printers don't have a driver chip for the second extruder because by the time the "plus" came out, UM realized they would never be able to do a dual filament upgrade.

So first check to see if you have the driver.  It's one of the largest chips on the board and it's very square but the easiest way to find it is that each white servo connector is lined up (roughly) with it's extruder chip.  And since it's one of the biggest chips it's pretty obvious when you see 5 white connectors and 5 (or 4 plus a missing spot) black square chips.

You probably have to remove the screws and flip the board over to check.  Pretty obvious how to do this - no special tricks other than maybe take a picture of any cables before you remove them although you won't have to remove much if any to flip the board over.

If you do have all 5 drivers, google around this forum to find a good explanation of what to do.  In your search maybe include these search terms "site:ultimaker.com" to get answers from this forum only.  "pins.h" (the file you will need to edit).  "build firmware" and "extruder".  Those topics should also have a link to how to build the firmware which is reasonably well documented.

• Like 2

@gr5 thanks for your answer.

I already check my E2 motor's driver chip and I have it. For that reason I asked that could I find editable firmware file from here or different sites? (Original/Thrid Party firmware)

I am going to search it from web also.

Thanks

This is one of several threads about how to swtich E0 to E1.  Note that it has a link to instructions for getting the source code and compiling the firmware:

• Like 1

Hi @canaksaya,

Sorry, -but been away for sometime.

You just been well advised by @gr5, so I'll think you'll find about everything in this thread.

(As I'll know you have an UM2E+, there is just another small thing only for the "Extended" version.

Just remember to change the definition of max Z height from 225 mm to 305 mm.)

Good luck.

Torgeir