excess brim material at print start?

joatrash

Posted · excess brim material at print start?

My UM2 extrudes about 3cm of filament while the build platform is being raised to start a print. This filament sometimes ends up right smack in the middle of the build area so that i have to quickly try and remove it while the prim is being printed. Is there a setting somewhere where I can delay extrusion a little?

When using the UltiGCode flavour of GCode the firmware takes care of the startup procedure, so you can't change that unless you want to hack your own version of the firmware.

You can switch to the RepRap flavour which will give you the option to put in your own start and end GCode. This will override all material settings on the printer and you'll have to manage those settings from cura instead.

Or you could do what I do and just grab the filament when it first comes out with tweezers and hold it to the side until the actual print starts.

Tweezers are for wimps. Use your fingers.

I pull it towards the front left corner and lay the thin filament onto the hot glass and press it down a little into the glass at the edge so it behaves and doesn't get caught up in the moving print head.

I guess you wipe your soldering iron on your hand as well? heh

Personally I'm not too fond of grabbing the nozzle directly to get at the PLA when it curls up.

Personally I'm not too fond of grabbing the nozzle directly to get at the PLA when it curls up.

Just be quick. I have done it hundreds of times and haven't gotten burned yet - no blisters. I'm also the kind of person who will pick up a red hot burning log from the fire and throw it in a new spot. But I do it very fast and brush off any possible hot coals off my fingers before checking if it's even necessary (by the time you check it's too late). I also plan the movement in my head 3 times before actually doing it.

Soldering irons are much hotter I think. I've gotten burned by them many times.

Tweezers are for wimps. Use your fingers.

I pull it towards the front left corner and lay the thin filament onto the hot glass and press it down a little into the glass at the edge so it behaves and doesn't get caught up in the moving print head.

I do exactly the same. Works fine I feel.

If it catches on the nozzle and creates a loop I like to try and put the screwdriver through the loop (needs some skill) and then squash it as the nozzle comes into "contact" with the bed. An accomplished flick of the wrist takes it off the bed.

Of course failure during the preceding means you then have to scurry after the nozzle with your screwdriver cleaning up the mess :)

I often have this problem too. Here is a feature suggestion for Daid...

Provide the ability to pause a print and lower the build plate to allow such cleanups to occur. On resumption, the build plate rises to the paused level and the print continues.

Possible?