Print core no extrusion during the print.

Go to solution Solved by BZ_3DPrinter,

Posted · Print core no extrusion during the print.

Newly purchased Ultimaker S5, after loading material there is no extrusion during 3D printing. 

Material Ultimaker PLA white 

The temperature is 110C. The fan is working. Feeder tension is centered.

Replaced print core, same problem.

What could be the problem?

2023-08-01_18-49-26_665.jpg

2023-08-01_20-12-05_261.jpg

2023-08-01_20-12-08_331.jpg

1) It looks like I can see on the build plate that you have successfully done a print at least one time before, right?  If so this eliminates many possibilities.

2) Do you have the material station underneath your S5?  Or S5 alone?

3) Instead of printing, go to the middle menu tab on the left, click on the material in the upper left, then click on the "..." in the upper right and choose "move material".  Wait for it to reach at least 160C and then start slowly spinning the dial.  Does it extrude?  Extrude lots of material.  What happens?  How long does it take material to get form the nozzle to the bed?

4) If you have any trouble with #3 do some cold pulls.  Google it or watch youtube videos or if you want to be lazy and not understand them, just follow the prompts in the menu on the front of the machine under "maintenance".  Show a picture of the result.  The shape of the cold pull tells us a TON about what is inside the nozzle.

5) Make sure the lever is down on your feeder - did you lift the lever up and forget to put it down?

6) Try a different core.

Report back on all 6 above.  As a minimum say "I didn't try this yet".  I can give you another 6 things to try.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gr5 said:

1) It looks like I can see on the build plate that you have successfully done a print at least one time before, right?  If so this eliminates many possibilities.

2) Do you have the material station underneath your S5?  Or S5 alone?

3) Instead of printing, go to the middle menu tab on the left, click on the material in the upper left, then click on the "..." in the upper right and choose "move material".  Wait for it to reach at least 160C and then start slowly spinning the dial.  Does it extrude?  Extrude lots of material.  What happens?  How long does it take material to get form the nozzle to the bed?

4) If you have any trouble with #3 do some cold pulls.  Google it or watch youtube videos or if you want to be lazy and not understand them, just follow the prompts in the menu on the front of the machine under "maintenance".  Show a picture of the result.  The shape of the cold pull tells us a TON about what is inside the nozzle.

5) Make sure the lever is down on your feeder - did you lift the lever up and forget to put it down?

6) Try a different core.

Report back on all 6 above.  As a minimum say "I didn't try this yet".

Hi gr5,

Thanks for the detailed answers. 

1) No successful printing so far. 

2) I have a S5 stand-alone.

3) I tried your suggestion after hot and cold pulls, unfortunately no extrusion. 

4) I have attached some photos as a result of the cold pull, maybe you will know more after checking this?

5) I am 100% sure I put the lever down. But I think maybe there is not enough force to push the PLA to extrusion?

6) In the first post I already tried two cores. Same problem. 

Any ideas on how to proceed?

IMG_20230802_154000.jpg

IMG_20230802_153947.jpg

IMG_20230802_154506.jpg

Never printed successfully!  Okay that's good to know.  Cold pull results looks excellent.

Wait so #3 doesn't work either?  Okay then definitely don't bother printing until #3 works.

You can test the feeder easily.  Pull the lever up on the feeder so you can slide the filament in and out.  Slide it out so it is well above the print head so you can see the end of the filament in the clear bowden tube.  Put the feeder lever back down.

Now do #3 but no need to wait for it to warm up.  Use the down arrow to move the filament down.  Fight this.  So use one hand to pull down on the feeder and the other hand to push the down arrow occasionally and see how much force it takes to fight the feeder.  The feeder can typically pull with about 15 pounds (about 7 kilos) of force.  10 pounds of force I consider a pass.  5 pounds will work but poorly.

Chances are you are not strong enough to get the filament to slip backwards.  that's fine.  That means the feeder is fine and the problem is somewhere else.

• Like 1

• Solution
    1 hour ago, gr5 said:

Never printed successfully!  Okay that's good to know.  Cold pull results looks excellent.

Wait so #3 doesn't work either?  Okay then definitely don't bother printing until #3 works.

You can test the feeder easily.  Pull the lever up on the feeder so you can slide the filament in and out.  Slide it out so it is well above the print head so you can see the end of the filament in the clear bowden tube.  Put the feeder lever back down.

Now do #3 but no need to wait for it to warm up.  Use the down arrow to move the filament down.  Fight this.  So use one hand to pull down on the feeder and the other hand to push the down arrow occasionally and see how much force it takes to fight the feeder.  The feeder can typically pull with about 15 pounds (about 7 kilos) of force.  10 pounds of force I consider a pass.  5 pounds will work but poorly.

Chances are you are not strong enough to get the filament to slip backwards.  that's fine.  That means the feeder is fine and the problem is somewhere else.

Thank you very much! Problem found! The filament was ground down by the feeder as photos showed. That causes the problem. Now it prints. 

IMG_20230802_173844.jpg

IMG_20230802_174555.jpg

• Like 1