Why is Ultimaker Cura doing this?

tkramer91

Posted · Why is Ultimaker Cura doing this?

Recently I have had a problem with Cura where there are random layer changes that result in gaps and stringing in parts. This layer shift can be seen in Cura in the preview of the prints. This issue only occurs for some parts and has varying severity. I am not sure what is causing this and how I can prevent it from happening. All of the files I am using to print are STLs exported from Fusion 360. 

Screenshot 2023-08-24 at 11.17.44 AM.png

UM2C_Body175.3mf

Those thin yellow lines?  That is a known - very very serious - bug in Cura 5.4.  Use Cura 5.3 or any other version until the fix has been released.  My understanding is that this is the absolute top priority bug to fix in Cura.  Maybe.  Probably.  I'm actually surprised Ultimaker didn't just shut down downloading of cura 5.4 because of this one bug.

• Like 1

I know someone who already lost 500 euros in filament cost alone (not to mention wasted printing time, delayed time getting prints) because of this bug.

Hi @tkramer91

Welcome in here.

I'll second @gr5 for sure, -if you're dependent of production making things that's matter, stay with the stable versions of Cura. But if you're experimenting and want/need possible functions coming with newer versions, test and be sure this is working for your needs, -but still keep your stable version of Cura.

I've looked at your project and see that you need "extended" support, well -everywhere support.

The later versions doe's not do this well, so you will benefit much using Cura 5.2.2 with your existing project file.

This as this version of Cura produce a cleaner support and looks very nice.

Just my 5p..

Happy printing.

Thanks

Torgeir

Almost forgot, here is a picture of your model sliced with Cura 5.2.2

image.thumb.png.24f2ffa5c43a5028d6683c2d054542f0.png

You should.  Most people are fine with it but it has this weird bug where some layers have no outer skin but do have inner skin.  Unless you need a specific feature of 5.4, then use 5.3 for now.

Ooh - there is actually a work around for this bug in 5.4.  You mess with the setting "maximum resolution".  I'm not sure if you make it bigger or smaller (I think bigger) so try both but I think 0.5 is supposed to be a good number.  That's what it is set to in the S5 profiles and that is what is used the most to test cura and probably why this bug was not found easily by Ultimaker QA.

• Like 2