Ultimaker S5 R1 Electronics Glue?

alnavasa

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker S5 R1 Electronics Glue?

Hi, 

I recently acquired a 3000 hour second hand used ultimaker s5 r1 

I was changing the printhead cable yesterday, (I broke the tab of it at the printhead while cleaning a lot of debris from the printhead itself), when I noticed that the PCB connector for the printhead at the PCB was not very clean (already cleaned when I took the picture), and further inspection revealed some sort of oil/glue and some pads on the side between the PCB and the ultimaker bottom, is this normal?

I don't want to remove all the electronics, but I can do it if you think it is not normal, 

I don't know if this is factory glue, or that the previous owner spilled oil around the bottom of the machine. 

Also RED pc looks like it has some corrosion, 

Pictures look all worse than this actually is.

I know S5 R1 danger for electronics, I completely unplug it from the wall before opening it.

IMG_4599.jpeg

IMG_4608.jpeg

IMG_4607.jpeg

IMG_4606.jpeg

IMG_4605.jpeg

IMG_4604.jpeg

IMG_4603.jpeg

IMG_4601.jpeg

IMG_4600.jpeg

IMG_4602.jpeg

Edited by alnavasa

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker S5 R1 Electronics Glue?

No one? The community from the old ultimaker forum, from the time when I had the wood made ultimaker original, around 2012-2013 where active members of the community and helped others is totally gone. 

Some are still around like @gr5, but if feel totally abandoned, and back in that time there was a lot of help and support. I have the feeling ultimaker left the home user, or home pro user alone and the only way to get support is from official dealers paying. 

Edited by alnavasa
    elaborate

Posted · Ultimaker S5 R1 Electronics Glue?

Hi @alnavasa,

Welcome in here, -and congratulation with an "old" workhorse..

Well, the community may have change some, -but the issue is more about this season time of the year and the celebration..

So to your questions. Yes, your S5 has had a little too much oil, for sure.

Some may have thought -a bit too much can't hurt..?  Well, such spill will over time will collect all kind of dust the may form some sort of "conductor" that may ruin the functionality of some logic function's of the main board, or just loosen up the glue effect to the silicone/rubber support pads located under/besides of the PCB boards in the printer etc.

For the main boards, those pads may act as support to avoid flexing of the print board during installation/removal of the connectors connected to the boards. For the board inside the extruder itself, it is very important to support this PCB with support pads in order to avoid resonance that may destroy the PCB.

There is two types of silicone sealer we use in general, Acetoxy silicones and Osime (or neutral) silicones.

(A third one exist, but very expensive and seldom used.)

Only one of them are to be used in electronics or plastics, the Osime neutral silicones and have no smell.

Osime silicones are much better in any aspects but are more expensive.

The other Acetoxy silicones, are distinctive by their smell during application as there is a strong acidic, -vinegar smell. This is the cheapest and most used in general, but are dangerous to use for plastic or electronics.

Next,what to be used to clean up oil/corrosion solder additives etc. on the PCB's?

Here you are only allowed to use Denatured Alcohol or ethanol. This do not harm most type of plastic or PCB's.

To clean this things, use a cotton stick (a type that do not loosen the glue fixing the cotton to the stick..) and clean carefully. When the it become colored, swap side and discard (into a fire safe tray/box)  when both sides are used.

If you work with this thing, make sure to perform this in a place where it no electrostatic build up as small electric spark when touching door handles chair etc.  If a room is too dry, this may occur, -but if the humidity are between 60 to 70 percent of humidity in the air, static build up are less prone to happen.

Just remember this; "electrostatic build up" can ruin micro controllers and sensitive electronics components.  

Good to know: PCB's installed into the equipment box are better protected against electrostatic discharge.

Use a news paper to cover the work desk (several pages) for the printer to rest on when doing maintenance.

Take photos of all details for the ease of re installation and doc references.

Just my thoughts around this issue.

But it's all up to you.

Good luck

Torgeir

• Like 1

Posted · Ultimaker S5 R1 Electronics Glue?

Thanks for all the info, I removed the electronics, and cleaned excessive glue, pads remained in place, it was just the glue being too soft, why?, I don't know, 

Now everything is in place and the glue holds together without excessive glue spilling around, All good.

Thanks for the info!

• Like 1