Jog and Homing

ciutateivissa

Posted · Jog and Homing

gr5,

to be honest I don´t really understand what your are talking about - I NEVER had ANY problems with USB. For my printer I use a cable which is even 3 meters long - without any troubles! And if there would be any, I would use an ACTIVE USB cable.

Sorry gr5, but what you´re writing here sounds just like an bad excuse for not doing that what Ultimaker users are expecting. Looks like that you just want to sell new stuff.

Well, you might not understand it but what he's telling you is the truth. I have never had any problems using USB either, BUT, there have been many people who have. I don't know how long you've been playing with this hobby but both gr5 and I have been at it for a couple of years now and we've seen and heard of these problems since the very start. In some cases the problem was solved by changing computers (laptops in particular seem to have issues), in others they had to move to a different room (the light issue) etc. The problem is that there is not a well defined reason why it fails which makes it very hard to control.

Also, to make it very clear, gr5 is not an employee of Ultimaker, neither am I or any of the other moderators. We have nothing to gain from lying or trying to hide anything, in fact I think all of us have been pretty damn critical at one point or another (although some of it might have been in private conversations with the people of Ultimaker). If you look around the forums you'll find that Ultimaker are very open and aren't afraid to let those who are negative speak up. As you know the first few posts you make have to be approved by a mod and I let through critical posts on an almost daily basis. In fact, I've NEVER stopped anyone from speaking out (unless it goes out of control which has happened once).

Posted · Jog and Homing

Ok, I thank you for clarifying...

In fact, the thing which worries me ist that the Cura software is the one which has been worked best for my printer and I was able to do everything with it.

Now I´m somehow in beetween, I still can use Cura 14.01 but I have a lot of benefit with the new infill technology from 14.03.

And I do have an panel as well, but it is not really convinient since I have an own computer for my printer as well.

All I would need is the print dialog from 14.01 moved in 14.03... and I assume that I´m not the only one.

Posted · Jog and Homing

I don't really understand the 'It's so much hassle to swap an SD card argument' to be honest. Because it really isn't that difficult to do, or time consuming, compared to the time that something actually takes to print. You have to physically visit the printer to at least take the old print off the bed, and probably to check that the new one is starting ok - so it's not like its adding that much to the process.

Equally, I do not understand why people don't just use Repetier Host or Pronterface to do the actual printing. Arguably, either of those do a better job of handling the USB part of the print than Cura ever did.

And finally, quite aside from the electrical interference and reliability issues, many prints will work better and run faster from an SD card than over USB, as the transfer rate over USB in pathetically low on arduino devices, making it easy to get buffer underruns because the computer can't send gcode fast enough.

Posted · Jog and Homing

Well, how difficult is it to understand, that not all people using a printer want to do that in exactly the same way you prefer personally?

What is wrong with the simply wish to leave the good things as they are? If I feel convinient with the software as it was before, why must someone try to convince me from anything else?

What is wrong with having a single request to a programmer?

Posted · Jog and Homing

Nothing is wrong with it. And I personally feel that it would have been better to have at least left the old functionality in place when making the switch. But Daid has made it clear that he considered the old system broken and unmaintainable, so it's unlikely that anything is going to change because there are more important areas where he can focus his attention.

This is especially true when there are numerous free alternatives that handle the USB-printing part of the process as well or better than Cura did anyway. Why not try those, instead?

Posted · Jog and Homing

Although I'm printing exclusively with SD card, I think there is a simple answer to the question why people want to print over USB and with Cura: They are used to have ONE software which does EVERYTHING AUTOMATICALLY or by pushing ONE button and in maximum ONE cable to connect. Greetings from inventions like cloud computing and plug&play... ;)

It's what is expected from a modern device. Nothing wrong with that. One has to keep in mind that not every Ultimaker user is a tinkerer (anymore).

I have the impression Ultimaker is well aware of that trend. Otherwise I could not explain why Cura is such a handsome application and very easy to start with. And I'm pretty convinced that the print dialog will improve again. But everyone has to be a bit patient right now. Let's continue to trust this great community of Ultimaker users here in the forum.