Looking for the best way to remove PLA residues from the print head?

mnis

Posted · Looking for the best way to remove PLA residues from the print head?

Hello people

After many hours of printing time, everywhere black and gluey PLA residues form at the hot end of my UM2.

Unfortunately, I have to date not show pictures because I have cleaned the print head recently.

I have always worked with very moderate temperatures of 210-190 degrees. Nevertheless arise sticky residue.

You can burn these residues and gently polish the brass afterwards. But I wish if there is a gentler method?

Maybe there are no PLA residues and it has to do with my adhesive for the first layers something, I do not know exactly.

Markus

To clean the outside, I simply wait while the head heats up in preparation for a new print. When it just starts to be a bit hot, the PLA leftovers go off easily being picked by a pair of tweezers.

Yes, that aids in the removal of larger residues.

But slowly to my print-head around is a tar-like covering. It probably has no effect on the correct function, but it just looks disgusting. And difficult disassembly of the small two-piece hot-end.

For ABS, there are acetone, I think, but there is something similar for PLA?

Markus

THF works similarly for PLA ans Acetone does on ABS. But I'm not sure it's actually PLA - as you say, it may well be glue. What glue are you using, and how are you applying it? It really shouldn't be getting anywhere near the sides of the nozzle.

There is a special desk cleaner that leaves no visible residue on the glass and on the object surface, which is why I love it.

It is well suited for single objects and allows bed temperatures down to 40 degrees, deeper I have not tested yet. So I get distortion-free surfaces and especially in the first 100 layers (0.1mm) no indentations. The stuff evaporates very slowly, so is suitable only if all of the first layer will be printed immediately.

It is very well possible that also are the components of the cleaner Harmful for the human organism, and also interact with the PLA. Have good ventilation is absolutely essential.

It's hard to find alternatives that have similar good properties.

my head (nozzle) is very dirty as well after printing with pla flex.What is the best way to clen it? there're no pieces that cab be easily tsken with pinsets.It is more like a sticky layer over the surface.

This is what I mean

IMG 0127

can't you just rub it off with a piece of paper/cotton towel? when it's hot of course..... be carefull with your fingers ... it works for me when cleaning PLA ..

edit: and for the pieces on the metal fan duct I would try to scrape it off with a knife ..

hey the top of my nozzle well the part that heats up the nozzle has plastic coming out of the top and constantly ruins my prints... what should i do ?? thanks

hey the top of my nozzle well the part that heats up the nozzle has plastic coming out of the top and constantly ruins my prints... what should i do ?? thanks

Sounds like you should disassemble the hot end and re-tighten the connection between the brass pipe and the heater block. The nozzle itself seems tight enough. Try to carefully turn the PEEK part open while holding the heater block with a wrench or something. If they separate, clean the thread from filament and screw the heaterblock and brass/PEEK part back together, firmly but carefully. Hopefully, this will prevent the pressure inside the print head being released anywhere else but through the nozzle.

For quickly cleaning my nozzle from PLA, i heat it up to 170°-180°C., then grab the nozzle with a piece of leather (the raw side out) between my fingers and twist downwards a few times. Works quite well.