running the source code

Posted · running the source code

Good day,

I am attempting to run the source code for your CURA software, but all attempts have been unsuccessful. I have tried this on two different operating systems, and have still encountered errors. If necessary, I can provide the specific error messages.

Could you please provide me with a video tutorial on how to successfully run the code on Windows 10? This would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your assistance.

Best regards,

Maxim

14 hours ago, boyzkill said:

If necessary, I can provide the specific error messages.

Nah, we are all very good mindreaders...

• Like 1
    • Laugh 1

@boyzkill if you need help with this you will need to ask on github not here.
    Additionally please dont post files that set off chromes virus scanners.
    There is zero reason to provide zipped "word" file for a log of a error.

@boyzkill are you trying to build Cura from source code (something only programmers should do)?  Or are you just trying to install and run Cura?

1 hour ago, gr5 said:

are you trying to build Cura from source code (something only programmers should do

Bored programmers, unless you want to make significant changes. Almost most of Cura itself you can change just by editing its (installed) files, since it's mostly in Python and QML plain text files. If you want to change CuraEngine then you'll need the source code and to build that.

7 hours ago, gr5 said:

@boyzkill вы пытаетесь создать Cura на основе исходного кода (что должны делать только программисты)? Или вы просто пытаетесь установить и запустить Cura?

We need to load a mathematical model into the program, thanks to which the detail will be cut into layers. Therefore, we need to run the Cura source code

6 hours ago, Slashee_the_Cow said:

Bored programmers, unless you want to make significant changes. Almost most of Cura itself you can change just by editing its (installed) files, since it's mostly in Python and QML plain text files. Если вы хотите изменить CuraEngine, вам понадобится исходный код и для его сборки.

We need to import a mathematical model into the software, which will allow the part to be sliced into layers. Would you recommend running CuraEngine or can this be done by modifying the installed Cura software files?

You will need to modify CuraEngine to do that.  There are instructions somewhere. So you got compiler errors? Maybe repost the compiler errors but not in a zip file? @Dustin, is three really a pace in github to talk about how to build curaEngine?  it seems github is just for bugs/features.

Wait, why do you want an algorithmic model?  Can't your mathematical model create an STL file?  If so then you could do this in python.  Please explain a small amount about the mathematical model.

For example if you want to warp the shape of an STL to a different shape, you don't need to change curaEngine.

If you think you might have to edit CuraEngine to implement whatever it is you're trying to do, that has its own GitHub repo and you don't need to even touch the Cura source code, other than maybe editing some of the QML files (which you can do to an existing installation, and then probably package as a plugin) to include extra options for your feature.

But as @gr5 said, it's impossible to recommend a particular course of action without some more detail about what result you're trying to achieve and what you think is the best way to implement it.

Anyone notice this is the second or third case of this? Seems like some professor my be using cura in a class on algorithmic modeling and students are turning up here…

On 10.03.2024 at 17:55, Slashee_the_Cow said:

Если вы считаете, что вам может потребоваться отредактировать CuraEngine для реализации того, что вы пытаетесь сделать, у него есть собственное репозиторий на GitHub, и вам даже не нужно прикасаться к исходному коду Cura, за исключением, возможно, редактирования некоторых файлов QML (что вы можете сделать в существующей установке, а затем, возможно, упаковать в виде плагина), чтобы включить дополнительные опции для вашей функции.

Но, как сказал @gr5, невозможно рекомендовать конкретный план действий без более подробной информации о том, какого результата вы пытаетесь достичь и какой, по вашему мнению, наилучший способ его реализации.

In short, I will try to explain what I want. I need to add mathematical models, based on which the part will be cut. I also need to make a pop-up window before uploading the details (if I understood you correctly, this can be done by editing the QML file). If I understood everything correctly, can I do this by adding my own plugin?

Everything you describe would be done in python.  So you don't need to modify CuraEngine.  I strongly suspect you can also do this as a plugin which ideally should also be written in python.

There are tutorials on writing plugins somewhere.  I don't know much about it.  This is too advanced for me.

There is an example plugin on GitHub you can use to help. As @gr5 said, there's probably a tutorial, but I don't know where to look either (I've only ever tried to write plugins by reverse engineering other peoples', and the experiments did not have happy endings).

For Cura Engine plugins is only less information available. There was a little introduction when Cura 5.5 was introduce and there is a little bit available when you look at Github.

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/discussions/15629

https://github.com/orgs/Ultimaker/repositories?q=curaEngin_plugin

3 hours ago, DivingDuck said:

For Cura Engine plugins is only less information available. There was a little introduction when Cura 5.5 was introduce and there is a little bit available when you look at Github.

CuraEngine plugins and Cura plugins have very little in common.

Cura plugins are written in Python with QML for the interface and are contained entirely within Cura, so should work reliably and with a minimum of fuss, so if you can do what you want to using one, it's definitely the better option.

IIRC, CuraEngine plugins are written in lower level languages (like C++) and need to be compiled for each OS you want to support, as they run as independent programs. They are, as @DivingDuck said, a very recent addition, and I don't personally know of any available other than the tiled infill plugin included in Cura.

Dear colleagues, I would like to extend my sincere gratitude for your assistance in this matter. Your help has been most valuable, and I am deeply indebted to you.

On 3/12/2024 at 6:38 PM, boyzkill said:

In short, I will try to explain what I want. I need to add mathematical models, based on which the part will be cut. I also need to make a pop-up window before uploading the details (if I understood you correctly, this can be done by editing the QML file). If I understood everything correctly, can I do this by adding my own plugin?

If I can intervene here with respect to the comments made by gurus...

What I understand is, you need to customize the behavior of uploading the model file and supply the print parameters. I have done a similar project by compiling the CuraEngine source code in a debian based system by following this official instructions. Then I ran a Flask/Python/Passenger app to expose two APIs. You don't need to touch the CuraEngine source, except for uploading the printer and extruder definitions files in a local directory.

One of the API was was to slice a model by uploading a STL, provide the printer model, custom printing parameters, etc. The result gcode is uploaded to a sFTP server ready to download.

You can use those APIs for free from the RapidAPI, and you can ping me there for any assistance is needed.

And you can drop the discussion here since it's not the right place talking about all these programming tweaks and custom codes.

6 hours ago, 3dslicegenius said:

And you can drop the discussion here since it's not the right place talking about all these programming tweaks and custom codes.

You can keep the discussion up here if you want. So far this is nowhere near the longest thread for this sort of thing.

It's hard to say exactly what you'd need (a plugin or - probably not - changes to CuraEngine) without more details about exactly what you want to change.

For @3dslicegenius's approach, you would probably need to write a script in Python or something (just that Python is easy) to apply your changes to the STL model before passing it to CuraEngine. But for what you need to do, if you don't want to be able to use it like a web service, you just want to run Cura like most people do, it's not really applicable (and really over the top).

7 hours ago, 3dslicegenius said:

I have done a similar project by compiling the CuraEngine source code in a debian based system by following this official instructions. Then I ran a Flask/Python/Passenger app to expose two APIs. You don't need to touch the CuraEngine source, except for uploading the printer and extruder definitions files in a local directory

Sorry if this is a stupid question, considering I don't know how your system works, but if you don't need to touch the source, why are you compiling it from source?

On 3/15/2024 at 5:02 AM, Slashee_the_Cow said:

You can keep the discussion up here if you want. So far this is nowhere near the longest thread for this sort of thing.

It's hard to say exactly what you'd need (a plugin or - probably not - changes to CuraEngine) without more details about exactly what you want to change.

For @3dslicegenius's approach, you would probably need to write a script in Python or something (just that Python is easy) to apply your changes to the STL model before passing it to CuraEngine. But for what you need to do, if you don't want to be able to use it like a web service, you just want to run Cura like most people do, it's not really applicable (and really over the top).

Sorry if this is a stupid question, considering I don't know how your system works, but if you don't need to touch the source, why are you compiling it from source?

@Slashee_the_Cow All I was needed to use the CuraEngine CLI in a debian OS, and to attach it with a custom web service. I had two different options - 1. compile from the source, 2. run from the debian APT. APT repo release was not updated (if my memory serves me well) so compiling from the source was my pick.

• Like 1

I'm not sure I've seen any distros with up to date binaries in their repos (I would guess most likely would be... Arch?). Ubuntu sometimes has a Snap which isn't too far behind, but doesn't work for this purpose.

Have you tried extracting the AppImage and running the binaries contained in it?

• Like 1