No more manual mode?

Posted · No more manual mode?

Hi! So, I used to be able to controller my printrbot manually with cura -- when I would open up the print window it would give me an interface to position the nozzle, etc -- but after an update I no longer see that -- I just get a "print" and "cancel" button.

Any ideas? :-)

Long story short: Old interface is gone. daid made the print window moddable via text files. You can change to a Pronterface-like interface in settings. Or you could just use Pronterface to begin with as it's more powerful.

More info on the forum if you search around a bit.

• 1 month later...

What a shame. This makes Cura virtually unusable for me, and I used to really like it.

My heat bed can take a long time to heat up, and if I do not do this separately before heating up the hot end, I run the risk of charring the plastic in the hot end while the bed is reaching temperature, which can severly clog it. Also, I like to manually level my print bed while I'm waiting, which I can no longer do in Cura as a result of this feature's removal (yes, I know there is a bed leveling wizard, but it does not work well for my printer).

So if I have to use another host to start with, why bother with Cura? I've been switching back and forth and it is a pain in the neck.

Goodbye Cura, I enjoyed my time with you.

Hello MatterControl!

• Like 1

No, I think you're misunderstanding the situation. The old criptic interface has been replaced with something much better.

It is a new customizable interface that some people have been working out their own solutions and sharing them. I print from an Ulticontroller, so I am not really familiar with it, but you can read about it http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/4618-new-cura-printer-interface/.

Personally before I had the Ulticontroller, I found it a very good solution to use Cura to slice with, then load my gcode into Pronterface for preparation, maintenance, printing and print monitoring. Its quite a powerful tool to control the printer. I think it is much more comprehensive than the old Cura interface and probably better than the improved new Cura interfaces.

I think its worth another look.

I've never used cura for printing, Pronterface is far superior at doing that. Same goes when using other slicers like KISSlicer and slic3r for example as they don't even have a print interface.

I got curious about MatterControl so I downloaded it to give it a look (always good to have alternatives) but unfortunately it didn't work very well for me. Six re-starts, two different model files and it crashed every single time when trying to generate the layer view.

Feel free to do as you wish, but the latest RC as nice temperature controls in the PronterfaceUI plugin (select it in the preferences)

I need to change my filament! How do I do that if I can no longer instruct my printer to heat up the hotend?

There is no longer a PronterfaceUI plugin apparently. How do I even change my filament if I cannot tell my printer to heat the hotend?

What kind of printer is it? I guess not an ultimaker.

I recommend pronterface. Not the cura plugin. The real thing. Repetier also has a great product (and is also free).

It is likely that a future version of Cura 2.x will have printer controls again (either by default, or through a plugin). But at the moment there is no such thing in Cura 2.x