Print order for multiple objects

fingerpuk

Posted · Print order for multiple objects

Hello.

I ave 3 of the same item being printed, I assumed it would put down a layer or two of each object at a time to avoid collisions, but it seems my printer is attempting to complete the first model fully before starting on the next. Before I leave it running al night I fought I'd better check the behaviour. Will it lay down a certain amount before moving over?

Cheers.

By default cura is in "one at a time" mode where it will complete one model at a time. This saves time as it's quicker (less movement of the head) and usually produces a nicer print. Another benefit is that if something goes wrong after 10 hours you may still get a few finished pieces instead of the whole thing being ruined.

Nah, cura figures out which order to print and how far apart to place objects to avoid that. If you move an object close to another you'll see how it scoots the other out of the way.

The nice thing about one-at-a-time mode is that if it fails half way through you still have half your parts completed and you can then just print the remaining parts.

As long as the "gantry height" setting is correct (it is set correctly when you choose your machine on first start of Cura), then the printer should never collide with previously printed parts.

It happened to me that a part came off the build plate and was knocked around the plate which messed things up quite a bit. That's why I won't print more than two or three pieces at a time anymore. But usually it shouldn't be a problem. Had I used a better technique to keep my parts sticking, I wouldn't have had that problem.

That is very clever, I'll try it :)