Over extrusion?

fingerpuk

Posted · Over extrusion?

After the my possible under extrusion, I then got this later on the model:

gallery_34551_722_1354523.jpg

I wonder if this is over extrusion, and if so what caused it? The support structures were separate models, I didn't merge them with the Elephant, so I diner if it was trying to lay down the plastic for both elements and there was simply too much? Happy to share the file if anyone wants to give it a go.

Posted · Over extrusion?

nope !!

thats all down to heat my friend !

Too much heat and not enough cooling at the top of the trunk.

make sure the cooling is 100 percent on at that stage and bring down the print temp a bit... what temp are you printing at ?

Ian :-)

Posted · Over extrusion?

Ahh, a new experience then! Fun!

I'm printing at 210, .06 layers at 30mm. Bed is set to 65. Can you change the temp for various stages then? Is this in Cura?

Here is the file, just in case anyone wants to print my Elephant :smile:

http://1drv.ms/1kHKBx7

EDIT: I found the plugin. I'm going to set it to 190C at 40mm which is 3mm below the problem, and set the fan to 255.

Posted · Over extrusion?

I have experienced similar problem with similar structure; in my case the cure was to increase "minimal layer time" in Cura quite dramatically - I ended up using 20 seconds.

Posted · Over extrusion?

For the elephant you may even find that you need to print a 2nd model concurrently. A simple cylinder at least as high will do. Difficult to tell from the photo how thin the end of the trunk should be But I suspect I would be looking to lower the speed to 10m/s to 15 m/s for the last section.

Posted · Over extrusion?

I'll try printing this when I get home from work:

gallery_34551_715_121684.png

The column is marked every 10mm, I may make a bunch of useful tools and share them all if people can think of stuff they use a lot or find themselves needing a lot.

Posted · Over extrusion?

My guess is - your print will be much better, even if you used identical settings with the original (failed) print. The column actually works as increased minimum layer time, giving the material more time to cool down. You could make the tip of the column sharp and see what will happen to it; by that time your elephant will be done already.

Posted · Over extrusion?

Hmm, something is wrong. Even the brim and lower levels are now printing like this. My bed is at 60, normally the lower levels are very cleanly laid down, but they are coming out now like the thing is using a shovel to apply the plastic.

I'll let it run for 20 minutes to see if it sorts itself out, if not I'll re-level the bed.

If I upload the geode would anyone be wiling to test it?

Posted · Over extrusion?

I'd rather see a photo of what you are talking about before looking at gcode.

Could it be that your Z axis is getting stuck occasionally and you get over extrusion? When you get a chance turn off power and push the Bed up and down and see if there are stiff spots.

By the way an alternative to the second tower is to check the "cool head lift" feature. And 10 seconds per layer should be plenty of time to cool (even 5 seconds might be just barely enough).

Posted · Over extrusion?

On another note, I wouldn't think you'd need those supports for the trunk, it should print fine without them at that angle.