UM2 Feeder Motor Turn Reversal

bugrah.

Posted · UM2 Feeder Motor Turn Reversal

Hi,

I have an UM2. I bought it 2 weeks ago. I was using it as smoothly. But Now, I cant use it. Because, when I want to chance the filament, feeder motor is turning reversal. Normally, It should turn clockwise for pushing the filament. But, it turn counter clockwise. I cant solve this problem. Please Help ME!!!.

Your video is set to private.

You haven't taken the extruder apart and accidentally put it back reversed by any chance? I don't speak from personal experience, nope, not at all :p

Video is private on youtube - please go to youtube and make it public.

Were you able to do the "change filament" procedure from the panel? Did it reverse the filament out? Did it then pull in the new filament? Try that procedure again and see if it still works.

There are many things that have gone wrong with other people but the one that sounds most likely (without seeing video) is this:

There is a DIR signal that runs from the arduino chip to the servo driver. This signal, if broken, will cause the servo to only ever go one way. You can verify with the "change filament" procedure. If this procedure is broken then it is almost certainly the DIR signal. It's probably a cold solder joint but this is very difficult to fix on SMD components. You could very carefully touch a soldering iron to both ends of this signal. You will probably need a new PCB sent to you from support though.

We tested the motor, and it's working normally. But when we I am using the motor as a feeder, it isn't working correctly.In low speed(low voltages), it doesn't rotate in any direction. Can be a mistake in software? I have reinstalled the software but noting has not change.

You are the second person with this problem this week. Only 2 people have had this problem that I know of - ever and we get 2 people in one week - strange. I don't think it is the DIR signal as the motor sounds wrong also.

It would be good if you could isolate the problem to either:

1) The motor

2) The controller board.

You could isolate by swapping the cables underneath and see if the problem moves but I recommend you contact support at:

support.ultimaker.com

And get them to send you a new PCB (I think it's probably #2 - the controller board but I don't know). Maybe they have seen this before. Send them a link to this topic on this forum.

I sent e-mail to support@ultimaker.com but still they didn't answer to me

I sent e-mail to support@....

I don't think that works well. Instead go here:

http://support.ultimaker.com

You are the second person with this problem this week.  Only 2 people have had this problem that I know of - ever and we get 2 people in one week - strange.  I don't think it is the DIR signal as the motor sounds wrong also.

It would be good if you could isolate the problem to either:

1) The motor

2) The controller board.

You could isolate by swapping the cables underneath and see if the problem moves but I recommend you contact support at:

support.ultimaker.com

And get them to send you a new PCB (I think it's probably #2 - the controller board but I don't know).  Maybe they have seen this before.  Send them a link to this topic on this forum.

what cables?

red

blue

green

black

Hi all,

I have same problem for my ultimaker 2, what should I do for this? the feeder only turn clockwise both when removing and input material, does anyone know what happen to my printer? Thanks a lot.

Hi All,

I, too, have this problem now with my Ultimaker 2+. It happened after I updated the firmware. Earlier in the day, I was able to feed the filament all the way to the extruder. After choosing my first test print, I unwisely chose to update the firmware. The moment I started the print job, I can see that the feeder was going in reverse. Pretty soon the end of the filament was in the center of the Bowden tube. I can no longer feed the filament into the system because it constantly goes in reverse.

I've verified that the feeder mechanism is correctly mounted, with the tension gauges on the right side (like I've seen in the help pages).

I have verified that I'm running the latest Cura software version, 15.04.4.

Firmware that was installed was MarlinUltimaker2Plus.hex. I'm guessing the firmware version is Jan 5, 2016, 13.48:33 15.04.4.

Any suggestions? Any way to get a hold of the prior firmware version?

I figured out what my problem was. I figured this out before the moderator has had a chance to review my first reply.

Anyhow, it appeared that when I upgraded the firmware (or when cura did it for me), it auto selected ultimaker 2+ as my machine. Odd. Once deleted that machine and added back the ultimaker 2 everything worked OK.

Had the same problem..... The reason was upgrading firmware for (Ultimaker 2 +) actually needed just 2.