Feature Request: Allow to upload/rename material profiles

netsrac

Posted · Feature Request: Allow to upload/rename material profiles

Hi,

while it's possible to store your own profiles in the material sections, it would be great if you could rename them.

It would even be more than perfect if you would be able to create download and upload such profiles to the SD card to - first, have a backup - second, be able to create them offline.

Netsrac

This was a planned feature, but so far, I haven't got around to build it yet. The code is prepared for it, but the implementation to store/load the profiles to SD is not there yet.

• 4 months later...

+1 for this idea.

I know the design specs for the U2 are in a github repository, but what about the firmware? I thought about having a look around to see if I could add the ability to name material profiles myself.

Even if you don't have the saving/reading from SD cards implemented yet, just being able to name them would be huge! Much easier to choose "ArchtectStone" instead of remembering that it's "Custom 12" :)

• 1 month later...

Yes it here, nice feature! (thanks Daid)

Just tried the new option to export and import material profiles to/from SD card. Real nice to be able to give logical names to my profiles.

FYI,

When I changed the material.txt (into copy_Material.txt) and made changes to the material.txt, after I imported this nothing changed on my UM2. Only when i deleted the "copy .." and imported again the new file was picked up and the changes where made. So i can hardly believe it but it seems it was still reading the "copy_materials.txt"

edit: moderators, can you move this to a software thread ?

FYI,

When I changed the material.txt (into copy_Material.txt) and made changes to the material.txt, after I imported this nothing changed on my UM2. Only when i deleted the "copy .." and imported again the new file was picked up and the changes where made. So i can hardly believe it but it seems it was still reading the "copy_materials.txt"

This is due to how filenames are handled and legacy (8.3) filenames are actually used behind your back.

ah ok so it's normal, thanks, it's no problem once you know it :)

How about a material wizard in Cura? Allowing to add and modify material presets including renaming. How am i supposed to know what all the custom presets correspond to? (besides writing it down and hang a printed or written list of material setups on my UM2?:(

If you could make a material setup in an integrated material wizard it would als so be nice to have a store/import/export feature to easily share different material profiles...:)

Would also be great to be able change the names in the Material settings in the UM directly using the rotary dial.

the feature discussed above was implemented. First don't confuse Marln and Cura. Marlin runs on the printer. Cura runs on a desktop or laptop.

Cura tends to not have material profiles as the idea is to keep that on the printer and have the printer adjust for each material so several settings can be easily switched based on material. You can create many material profiles and edit them and rename them. You get the most control though if you save them to the SD card and edit them with your computer and then load them back in.

Hi I get the initial idea, nevertheless I think it's user unfriendly and not contributing to the overal Ultimaker experience (these are small things I would expect from a high end manufacturer;)). Meanwhile I found the way to import/export and text edit, which is not hard to do indeed. But still I'd rather see stuff like this put into a user friendly software function in Cura. But that's just my opinion of course... :)

Thanks anyway for your reply!

But still I'd rather see stuff like this put into a user friendly software function in Cura. But that's just my opinion of course... :)

Again, I'm not sure, but I think you are talking about Marlin.

But still I'd rather see stuff like this put into a user friendly software function in Cura. But that's just my opinion of course... :)

Again, I'm not sure, but I think you are talking about Marlin.

To be honest with you I'm new to all this and don't know Marlin, I only use Cura on my mac.

What I understood is that Marlin is the software running in the printer itself right? Obviously if one would integrate features like mentioned above in Cura, some programming/updating in machine software/firmware might be needed as well.

If this would be in Cura, a next step would be calculating prices for different material profiles because you could add cost price per kg/750gr etc. I can see this as a useful all in one manerial wizard in Cura. But maybe it's easier said than done...

How about a cloud based repository of profiles with user feedback incorporated. Uploaded by any registered user of this website. Defined by (and searchable by) the printer, material, and whatever else makes sense. Voted on by users as to whether they actually work or not. Authors develop credibility when they upload profiles that are scored well. Authors with credibility automatically have a quality attribute of new profiles set to something above zero with feedback also contributing to that quality attribute. Users can search for profiles with a certain level of quality. Ideally accessible from within Cura with the search capability mentioned above.

• Like 1