Basic help!

goop

Posted · Basic help!

Had U2 for about 5 days. Started off very well. Print quality exceptional.

I have done something though and I have been reading so much I have gone word-blind and it is obviously me missing something. The more I look, the less I see!

Things look great in Cura standard view (a wall with windows in is just that, a wall with holes in) but as loon as I look at the layers, - window holes are blocked up (irrespective of "fix horrible" settings and support settings)

I'm missing a setting somewhere but not seeing it. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Posted · Basic help!

irrespective of "fix horrible" settings

Are you positive? In this case you want to UNCHECK all 4 of those.

Please post the STL somewhere on the internet and supply a link to it.

Posted · Basic help!

That's what I thought, have tried it without any checked, That's why I put "irrespective of "fix horrible" settings" . Now I sometimes get "open" holes for windows BUT it has now decided it isnt going to print any "tops"

The worst thing is, it doesn't appear to be consistent. A second print at the same settings will produce different results.

David

Posted · Basic help!

1) Again, please post the STL somewhere. For example youmagine.com.

2) Did you check the model in XRAY mode? If you see any red then that is a problem area for your model.

Posted · Basic help!

Hi.

Thanks for you patience with me!

I have progressed and then taken steps back. The print quality of what does print is fantastic but (in this example) it leaves the roof (90%) off. I am sure I am missing something really obvious but im going around in circles now!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5866941/pajero%20body%20only%20from%20meshlab.gcode

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5866941/pajero%20body%20only%20from%20meshlab.stl

Really appreciate any help. Even if it is to point out why I am an idiot for not seeing the obvious!

Thanks

David

Posted · Basic help!

Oh! This model is a disaster. There is no inside. There's almost nothing to print.

So in CAD software you can design models with infinitely thin walls. That's what you did with this car. You need to give all the walls thickness.

Or if you want it solid then you need to seal all the holes such as the windows. And the bottom. It's all open and has no walls.

Posted · Basic help!

If in cad you model infinitely thin walls then Cura prints it perfectly - it prints nothing. Air is infinitely thin plastic.

Making this model printable will be a lot of work. But if it is your model I'm sure you will do fine.

Posted · Basic help!

This is just one of the iterations - Most have been solids, and the results just as poor. It is the "inconsistent" results I am struggling with. When the model was one solid shape, it would print almost fine and a second print would be totally different. I am wondering whether that getting shape and form to a 20mm x10mmx10mm "lump" is beyond the capability. of the U2 (consistently) though from what I have seen, in some of my results it is more than capable.

Will persevere! :-)

Posted · Basic help!

Most have been solids

do you have an example of the solid version as this one would end up in a confused machine.

I feel for you as I print mainly architectural models - and I either use shrinkwrap or really think hard about what my wall thicknesses are - If I am doing a large building with 100mm thick walls, and using a .4mm nozzle then I need to be aware that at 1:100 my walls are 1mm wide at 1:200 they are .5mm wide and Cura just does not see them.

So my models for print are different to my models for build and I am always aware of the scale that I am printing at (like a gutter for example where the material is 10mm thick in real case is not going to actually print!)

So I think cura is behaving itself and the model is not currently ideally suited to a .4mm nozzle FDM capabilities.

James

Posted · Basic help!

This is just one of the iterations - Most have been solids,

Well the next time you have trouble with a "solid" please post the STL file.

It helps to view in "xray" mode in cura. If there is any red at all then it means you either have an interior wall or you have a hole in your model. After removing all red areas it should be fine.

Posted · Basic help!

20 x 20 x 10mm is a pretty small block, so you will need to take care with the temperature, cooling parameters and layer timing.

But the first thing to do is to make sure the model is solid, and that the walls are at least 0.8mm thick, and horizontal surfaces are at least 4 or 5 layers thick (if you want them to print well).

I am wondering whether that getting shape and form to a 20mm x10mmx10mm "lump" is beyond the capability. of the U2 (consistently)