OK, I deserve this

twofoot

Posted · OK, I deserve this

So I went with a Replicator2 instead of UM2. To quote the knight in Indiana Jones, "He chose... poorly".

mystery piece knocked loosebuild plate 4build plate 3build plate 2machie Bed 1build plate 1

Now I need to deal with Makerbot to return the machine and the three spools of filament I bought. Did I mention this was only the third print I made on it? Jeez!

<hangs head in shame>

-Chris

Oar, wow, sudden death ... Now I get scared... :???: :???: :???: :shock: :eek: :eek: :oops:

Do you try a complete reversal, so you can buy a good machine? :cool:

Markus

We call it "angel fluff", and it can happen on pretty much any machine really.

With any of these machines you can get air prints for a whole load of reasons - you need to get to know your machine, research, research research and try lots of stuff, and then you will learn how to avoid them (I say avoid because printing is as much an art as a science and there are times when the machine just decides to make art rather than what you asked it :)

Most often air prints are

• running too fast for the filament to catch up (i.e. out-running the possible rate of pushing the plastic through - and this is a combination of head speed, temperature, filament and layer height.
    • running the filament too hot
    • Feeder grinding

and these happen on any printer.

I am no MBI fanboy - but I think you have a user error there and can play with it to fix it - but you should have bought a UM :))

Ouch. Looks messy!

Well yes, printing 'angel fluff' can happen on lots of machines, for lots of reasons - including user error. But in this case it seems it happened primarily because a bit fell off the print head. Which is not to bash Makerbot particularly (glass houses, stones, etc)... but just to point out that this does appear to be related to problems with the printer, rather than the printee... :-)

Hm, "Angel fluff", nice that there's a name for everything. :cool:

I had so fluff Angel and my UM2 is not disintegrated here at least three times. :-P

Markus