Material gets too much pressed through extruder

Posted · Material gets too much pressed through extruder

Hi!

I recently bought white filament. The problem is that after a while / many retractions back and forward material gets too much compressed at the extruder that it can't pass through. Suggestions? Can I make it so that the extruder doesn't grip as much(less teethmarks / pressing)?

Thanks, Axel

I'm assuming you have a UM2? If so, there's an adjustment screw to the right of the bowden on the feeder. When the little white dial indicator is at the top is when there's the least amount of pressure on the filament.

If you have a UM-Original you can unscrew the screw that holds the spring in place on the arm of the feeder.

Yes, I have an Ultimaker 2. Do you mean the screw on top of the extruder? It was loose and on the top position.

Currently pritning without retraction to see if it doesn't get more pressed. Two pictures included below if they make any sense.

Photo 2014 04 27 17 42 37

Photo 2014 04 27 17 40 57

Thanks, Axel

Update!

So I printed my object without retraction and it worked perfectly. The material didn't get pressed 2-3 times at the extruder so it didn't have any passing problems. But of course I want retraction, does anyone have a suggestion what I should do? Lower retraction amount? Faster retraction?

I am using ColorFabb, bluish white.

Thanks, Axel

Haha, don't know if anyone cares but I fixed it. The minimal retraction setting was too low so it retracted to much which caused the filament to get pressed a couple of times at the extruder until it couldn't get pressed through anymore.

Axel

Well, to be honest, that's a bit of a workaround - you're simply retracting less often. Your printer should be able to handle a lot of retraction; I've done prints with hundreds of thousands of retractions over a filament length of about 18 meters.

It may be that the filament is softer, and can't withstand the pressure of the extruder, or perhaps it's harder to feed due to it's diameter or something. What brand is it?

I have had the same problem with

- new UM2

- Ultimate PLA blue

I have had a lot of support structures made with meshmixer. The result has a lot of small columns. There you print only a small spot for every column (0.8 - 1.2mm in diameter) with retraction after every column.

There I have had the jamming with filament looking as the one by AxelEriksson. It jammed more than once at around the same hight.

Tried a little bit with different retraction length, but the final workaround was to reduce the amount of support structures.

After that I was able to print that part.

I'm not sure what parameters to set, to print objects with a lot of support with meshmixer. Some ideas?

Sample images of these support structures:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/gallery/image/5055-tank01/

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/gallery/image/5053-tank03/

I used ColorFabb, Bluish White, a couple of times and it jammed at the same place. I switched to gray filament I got with my Ultimaker but it also jammed there.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:314455/#files

This is the house, it got stuck printing the walls before switching minimal extrusion from 1 mm to 2. Printed at 20% and 40%, with support & without.

I haven't seen this problem before. It sounds strange.

Axel, if you send me the gcode file for which the problems occur - we can make a test print on one of our machines and see if there's something wrong with your particular feeder or if we can reproduce the problem.

Please also state how long time it took before the problem started (is it always after a certain time/number of retractions?). What settings on the machine are you using? Like PLA profile and also the retraction settings.

If we would find that the feeder would be the culprit you'll of course get a new one :)

Daniel

3DVerkstan

Hello

I just bought UM2 to the office after testing two other brands before. I have on UM2 also at home. Now we have exactly same problem at the office. The filament is squeezed to flat and it doesn't move anymore. Many prints have failed because of this. So, the cure was to increase minimal printing amount before extracting happens? Have I understood right?

This is how the filament looks. We have tested UM blue and FormFutura EcoPla White.

https://app.younited.com/?shareObject=f3140638-c194-3e21-1e1e-0df11231e3d9

Ilkka