Ultimaker 2 MainBoard...Safety-Jumper?

Posted · Ultimaker 2 MainBoard...Safety-Jumper?

Hello people

On the UM2 motherboard two jumpers are set. Does anyone know further details about it? The jumper locations are denoted by Safety 1 & 2, what safety could be so mean?

Could it be simple monitored switch inputs?

Do you have any ideas on this matter?

Thanks in advance ...

Markus

Also known as J16 and J17. Those are for future use - possibly some kind of smoke detector or heat sensor could trigger those and that cuts off 24V but leaves power to the arduino. So it cuts power to the bed, the side fans, the nozzle, and the servos. But leaves power to everything (?I think) else including lights, rear fan, controller and arduino.

It's for a possible safety circuit. We didn't implement one at the end. But we had planned for a heat sensor to prevent over-heating.

You could add a emergency switch to it:

ELECTRICAL_CONTROL,_STOP_SWITCH.jpg

:eek: No, I can not believe it ... :wub:

So Do I interrupt one of these two circuits, then, then immediately closing with any machine-Action (24 Volts cut off).

:rolleyes:

Specifies the Arduino then an appropriate error message such as: "Safety x was triggered"?

I suspect after a break must be a short supply isolation so that the regular machine operation can be resumed? :rolleyes:

But anyway, these are really good news, and custom implementations could easily be implemented.

A double feature Brilliantly simple, it seems ... :mrgreen:

Hm, I think a little self-designed emergency OFF switch would be a start. :idea:

Thanks to all. :)

Markus

Hm, I think a little self-designed emergency OFF switch would be a start. :idea:

I'd be very interested to print something like that!

I'm putting up a workshop, but these emergency buttons cost a fortune!

Specifies the Arduino then an appropriate error message such as: "Safety x was triggered"?

On the UM2 display it does. (You cannot see which safety was triggered, both are handled the same)

Here is a small beginning:

No real emergency stop, but already functional as a reset button. Unfortunately, it is not yet multi-colored.

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/panic-buzz / http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:335633

Markus

Mhhh.. The main goal of an emergency stop button is that it's the first thing one notices on a machine, and will always find in panic.

I'm thinking about the cleaning staff not being able to take their hands off the machine and getting caught in it.

(I know that's a very unlikely scenario, but safety measures should go beyond what's likely to happen!)

So the button must be BIG and solid :)

(See Daid's picture above. Everyone knows that button and what it does ;))

I like the idea of using endstop hardware! Very suitable and a "known variable" for most 3D printer users...

But I think there should be some sort of plastic spring inside which limits button travel. I have the thing in my head but my time is limited atm -.-

And every emergency stop button must lock in place (!), and should ideally be unlocked by turning the button clockwise.

And every emergency stop button must lock in place (!), and should ideally be unlocked by turning the button clockwise.

Actually, the safety circuit also handles this, once you remove a connection it will no longer turn the 24V power on until you switch all power off.

In this case, yes.

(Nicely done btw! Missing stuff like that on the UM1 ;))

But it would be nice to have a design that can also be used elsewhere. These buttons are very expensive and, as long as it's not necessary to have certified safety equipment, but simply equipment that you can trust because you made it yourself, it's well worth being used elsewhere...

I have several workshop machines for example (mill, table grinder, lathe...) which don't have an actual "emergency off" button.

Thanks for your answers.

I had initially been written, it is not a true emergency OFF switch. I have concerns when I pick up a Design 1 to 1 because I do currently not know if it is a registered design. So a huge thing would rather destroy the good appearance of the Ultimaker2.

Also, I would indeed create things with my own creativity, so the Panic Buzz for 3D printer and maybe a few other devices in the household. The way I have designed it in several parts, there is at least the possibility of the typical colors of an emergency OFF switch to use. So then detects at least my wife the meaning behind it, I think ... :wub:

I hope not, our cats think it is one of their toys... :mrgreen:

Markus

Small update:

Now a total of six different buttons are available. The most recently added allows the use of both micro switch for different tasks, such as Volume up / down. All housing parts usually require only minor reworking and can be assembled without screws.

CP V5 (Button Up&Down)CP V5 (SainSmart MultiBuzz 3)CP V5 (SainSmart MultiBuzz 2)CP V5 (SainSmart MultiBuzz 1)CP V5 (SainSmart MultiBuzz SS)

At the moment I can only work with one color, but I am very curious what it looks like multi-colored.

Markus

It's for a possible safety circuit. We didn't implement one at the end. But we had planned for a heat sensor to prevent over-heating.

What happens if one of these switches is open? Does it kill/shutoff everything hard wired or are they evaluated in the firmware? I would like to add an out-of-filament stop to my Ultimaker 2 and was wondering if one of those two could be used? Marlin apparently has already support for it id you define FILAMENT_RUNOUT_SENSOR. Could this work?