Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
aaron

Paint visibly absorbs into prints. Suggestions appreciated.

Hello all. As a hobby I sell custom 3D printed dice. I hand-paint the numbers. However, sometimes the paint visibly absorbs between the layers of plastic in some parts of the prints. This only happens in some areas. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions. Any printing preferences suggestions? Do you think a quick spray clear coat of some sort would help?

I guess that you can't prime unless doing it by hand as well as i supose you only want to paint the numbers and use plastic only on the rest of the dice.

By the way, do you use brush or some kind of a marker.

If using a marker i think it can be hard as the paint is extreamly thin.

If using a brush and a little thicker paint i think the problem might be bad bonding between layers. Make sure thay you dont have under extrusion problems and if not, try to print a little hotter.

primer would definately help, but might not solve it completely if your paint is too runny.

Try not thinning your paints, or get some thicker stuff, they shouldn't do the capillary thing as much.

Or, for a better result, emboss the numbers into the geometry of your print. It'll make painting easier, you can even sand off the surface after putting paint in for a really nice clean finish!

I'm assuming he only wants to paint the detail onto the part, and not cover the colored PLA with grey primer.

Look into trying this solvent to seal the parts before painting them. I've used MEK for PLA, but its quite hazardous and not that effective.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/makerbot/wXZ5HyqOa6I%C2%A0