T-800 Build Thread

braddock

Posted · T-800 Build Thread

I thought I'd start a thread to document this process. No parts printed yet, still in modeling.

I have some dental acrylic teeth i'll be using, so probably wont print these teeth, they're just in there so it doesn't look odd.

Working on the Jaw, it's currently all symmetrical, I'll do a pass for the non symmetrical detail later.

endo 01

Awesome to see you making progress on this. I was actually looking for the proper teeth just yesterday in preparation for you releasing this. Didn't really find anything though but I'll keep looking.

Thanks mate.

Does anyone have any experience with Animatronics? I'd love to incorporate eye movement, and maybe head movement too.

They guy who made the video certainly does ;)

I have some experience with mechatronics, but it's not my everyday work and I wouldn't consider myself an expert at all.

It depends on how complex you wan't your movements to be. Turning the head left and right is trivial. Add nodding and it gets more complex, but still well doable.

Making eyes move like in the video is certainly not trivial. With some research it should be doable though - 3D printing makes research in these fields very convenient :)

/btw:

Needless to say, but that skull looks AWESOME!

Ah, I thought you were going for the actual Arnold set :) But I guess most people wouldn't notice the difference either way so I'll go with a set of those. Thanks :)

No, I've seen a few done with these and they look good, I don't care if it's not an exact match for Arnold's Teeth. The teeth really make a big difference in the overall look, I'd rather have real looking generic teeth over not so real looking Arnold Teeth.

The other option would be to model a more accurate Arnold shape, print them, then mold and cast in Dental resin... but, not sure it's worth the added time.

Ah, I thought you were going for the actual Arnold set :) But I guess most people wouldn't notice the difference either way so I'll go with a set of those. Thanks :)

Cant wait braddock. The modelling you have done so far looks top notch already! Eagerly awaiting progress :)

Nothing new, just a prettier render.

endo ZB

Hi Guys,

after working on it some time ago, this thread makes me want to get started with my old idea of producing a similiar (but not terminator inspired ) robo head again!

Eye First pic

eyemov

my robo-eye is already working quit well!

Eexcept the motors and the short wire peaces (connecting eye-ball and motor) everything is printed! Movment is not to smooth which is mainly due to the bad servos i am using..

I already got replacement but as good as no time to work on the designe....

The brain of this baby is going to be a Udoo-Quad and i am planning on adding a webcam (or better to say just the chip) in between the eyes to get some object tracking implemented! Since OpenCV already runs on the chip and due to the arduino compatible IO-pins i could control up to 48 Servos what should be enough!!

Since i am free on friday and after braddock posted the video, i am planing to get work on the subject done within the next days!

If you want i can post my progress!

Cool work braddock (amazing renders) and thanks for inspiring me to get back on my project ;)

Keep it up!

Cheers

JI

Hah!

Imagine a T800 head sitting on a shelf in your apartment, with object-tracking so that it always watches you o.O

Then you just have to teach it to not track you, but everything else, and you can prank the hell out of any visitor :D

(Especially unwanted visitors...)

The best CCTV ever lol

That's great! I've seen a few of these where the pivot is inside the eyeball, and the eyeball is only a half sphere. Won't work for the T-800 due to the eyeball being occupied by the LED light.

Hi Guys,

after working on it some time ago, this thread makes me want to get started with my old idea of producing a similiar (but not terminator inspired ) robo head again!

my robo-eye is already working quit well!

Eexcept the motors and the short wire peaces (connecting eye-ball and motor) everything is printed! Movment is not to smooth which is mainly due to the bad servos i am using..

I already got replacement but as good as no time to work on the designe....

The brain of this baby is going to be a Udoo-Quad and i am planning on adding a webcam (or better to say just the chip) in between the eyes to get some object tracking implemented! Since OpenCV already runs on the chip and due to the arduino compatible IO-pins i could control up to 48 Servos what should be enough!!

Since i am free on friday and after braddock posted the video, i am planing to get work on the subject done within the next days!

If you want i can post my progress!

Cool work braddock (amazing renders) and thanks for inspiring me to get back on my project ;)

Keep it up!

Cheers

JI

It should work using http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowden_cable. You can put the motor / servo away from the joint, much like real muscles. Simply put all the servos some place where there is space, hook up all the bowden cables, and you're good to go :)

Burki, a member of this forum, showed me a 3D printed construction using Bowden cables. If you know how to do it right, it's definetly possible. We should ask him for advice when it comes to actually implementing this ;)

I'm still plugging slowly away at this...

endo Wip

Great to see progress! I've been wanting to post a couple of times and ask how things are going, but I didn't want to sound pushy :p

Cant wait for you to get this done braddo!

scary good !!!

respect from the highest levels...

Ian :-)

keyshot render

endo Ks

checkout

Lots of interesting ways He's connected things up. I should of gotten into animatronics instead of CG VFX so much cooler to make things like this for real. Although it's probably a dying industry I'm guessing.

Looks awesome braddock!! Gotta love keyshot!

Long time no update... still some bits to do, but getting there.

render comp

Awesome!