UM 2 Temperature ?

greens83

Posted · UM 2 Temperature ?

Hello fellow U.M.ers. I got my new UM2 this week after 2 years using the UM1 (which I still love!)

One thing that's troubled me slightly is I don't have the option to change the temperature in CURA for my UM2.

Can someone fill me in on :

1. Why the temperature settings have gone ?

2. How is the temperature determined If I'm not setting it ? (I really hope its doing something intuitive based on the rest of the settings and printing at the lowest sensible temperature !)

3. Is there a way to set it manually If needed ?

Thanks in advance for any insight into this !

There are 2 ways to set the temperature. One is to go into the MATERIAL menu and set the default temperature for PLA and save this back to PLA. Then all future prints will always be at that temperature. While you are in there change the bed temp to 60C for PLA as 75C is too hot unless you are printing something with severe warping forces and all other methods fail.

The second way is once you say PRINT and select a file, you can go into the TUNE menu and change lots of things including temperature.

• 1 month later...

Isn't this a bit backwards? Why would one want to remove the convenience of the ability of storing temperature settings from within the slicer? Now, with Cura, it is impossible for prints, which need special temperatures, to be stored within the file.

Does the same apply for the bed temperature, is that also adjustable from within non-cura gcode?

One thing that's troubled me slightly is I don't have the option to change the temperature in CURA for my UM2.

Cura lets you set the Printing temperature and Bed Temperature, and you can set them both to 0, which allows you to manually set the temperature in the UM2 and override the temperature set in Cura or for the material in the UM2.

To make this work, you need to first change the Machine settings from UltiGCode to RepRap(Volumetric) - that gives you the temperature options in the Basic settings panel.

[edit by gr5: not volumentric - but "reprap marlin"]

[another edit by gr5: Okay - I'm told volumetric mode will work on UM2 if you also send M200 commands to indicate filament diameter - not sure how that works exactly]

Eldrick, thanks. But are there any drawbacks from using RepRap instead of UltiGCode?

reprap mode is fine on UM2. You just won't be able to control the retraction distance and speed on UM2 - you have to do it in Cura.

The whole concept of ultigcode is that you can create one set of gcode and then print it with PLA or ABS without having to edit the gcode. Also you can print it on differently tuned printers with different retraction settings. Marlin worries about bed temp, nozzle temp, retraction distance and speed. Cura worries about the rest.

Oh also filament diameter is specified in Marlin and Cura outputs all distances in cubic mm of filament. So you can change filament diamter, type, bed temp, retraction settings all in Marlin now if you use ultigcode.

But reprap mode works just fine on UM2.