Solid top for support

isphording90

Posted · Solid top for support

Hey,

a few months back I started a thread about intelligent ways for creating support material based on my experience with a printer from stratasys. Since I'm no programmer and can't help with implementing those features I think these features would be hard to take on. But there is one setting that could be implemented with relative ease I think.

The slicer from stratasys gives the support a solid top of 1 to 3 layers (can be set in the settings).

For solouble support material this feature is just golden and guarantees a nice finish of the outer shell of the main object. And the support material dont have to be so dense to get "near perfect" results.

So Daid, would it be possible to get this feature in Cura or is it to hard to implement?

Greetings,

Lukas

I'm using HIPS at the moment and orange oil (or D-Limonen) as solvent. Its perfect for use with ABS and PLA because there is enough anhesion between the different types of plastics so everything stays put but also there is no real melting reaction between those and the objects stay seperated from one another.

And with its easy handling, a same pricepoint like ABS/PLA and a solvent that is easy to get and also not very expencive (and good smelling by the way ;) ) its by far the best support material i've ever had! :)

• 2 years later...

Hoping to revive this topic, I see it is 2 years old.

I am fairly new to 3D printing but a "raft" function built on top of the support would be a great feature to add to Cura. I am not a programmer by any stretch of the imagination, but even a few lines of g-code that could be inserted into the generated G-code would be amazing. I use a single extruder so using soluble material is out of the question for me. I find i have to sand ALLOT where the support material is, (adding significant time and cost) or design models as assemblies eliminating the support structure all together. redesigning someone else's model adds its own set of problems.

@Prizzo, this feature has been added to the latest version of cura (2.1.2). It's called "Support roof". At the moment I can't remember if that setting is visible by default or not. If not, you can add it in via Settings -> Preferences -> Settings

@Prizzo, this feature has been added to the latest version of cura (2.1.2). It's called "Support roof". At the moment I can't remember if that setting is visible by default or not. If not, you can add it in via Settings -> Preferences -> Settings

that would be great, i have i believe the latest version on my computer at home, i'll look tonight when i get  home thanks

@lrobertl i have version 15.04.6 and i cannot find that setting can you help me?

You need the NEW cura, 2.1.x not the 15.04 ones.

https://ultimaker.com/en/products/cura-software