UM2 starts without waiting for head and/our bed is heated up

ultiarjan

Posted · UM2 starts without waiting for head and/our bed is heated up

Suddenly my UM2 will start a printjob without waiting for the bed or head to be warmed up.

This happend after I used the maintenance funtions to heat up.

I even did a factory reset, went through the original setup steps, but still it starts directly.

Both bed and head sensors seem ok (I get a room temperature reading).

Can this be something hardware related or did I somehow trigger a bug in the newest firmweare update (that came with cura 14.07) ??

Thanks for any help,

Arjan

When you start a print and then go into the TUNE menu it will not start until you exit the TUNE menu. You can stay in the TUNE menu for an hour and it will not start the print.

But it starts to print the moment you leave the TUNE menu.

Even if the printer isn't up to temperature*.

So if you choose to go into TUNE and change something you should stay in the menu until you are ready to print.

* This has not been thoroughly researched by me because I am in the habit of never leaving TUNE until I'm ready to print so maybe I'm wrong about all of this.

You are wrong on that. I go into the tune menu often to change this or that and then exiting a few moments later, the heat up routine continues as normal.

Not sure what would cause the OP's problem though. You're saying that it starts to print even if the nozzle is at room temperature? So it's grinding the hell out of the filament? That shouldn't be able to happen as the firmware has a routine that should prevent cold extrusion. If it were me I'd flash the firmware again and re-set to factory defaults just to be sure.

Just tried again afterhaving the printer off for half an hour (walking the dog....) it still immediatly starts to print.... but you are right there seems to be a protection against grinding.... the feeder motor is not moving at all.

So I press print, bed goes up, head is moving as if its printing, and feeder motor does nothing....

Just to be sure I'll flash the firmwear again now ....

Ok now I'm lost ... flashed the firmware again (from Cura 14.07) had no fillament in the machine, used the material change feature to load material, all ok.

Then I go print (head still warm from material change, bed cold), print starts direct, feeder moving material all ok ecept for the fact that tyhe bed is still cold, so no adheasion to the bed.

so;

- firmware update did not help.

- sensors ar ok

- bed and head will heat from maintenace menu.

I'm lost ... what do you think, would it be worthwile flashing back to older firmware ?

I'm just thinking, after the firmware update I did not restore factory settings .. would I need to do that ??

SOLVED!

this was a total waste of time ;)

flashed again, directly followed by a factory reset...... still same problem.

then I had a brainwave.... what if I try to print something else .... problem solved!

apparently the printfile was corrupt, maybe took the SD card out to fast or something ... still think it's odd to get this behaviour ...

The printfile probably specified a printing temp and a bed temp of 0C meaning ignore temperature.

There is an important comment in the file that tells Marlin that it is "ultigcode". The behavior is differnt for ultigcode. In ultigcode mode you don't specify temp in gcode file but instead it's defined in the default filament settings on the printer. But in "reprap" mode you specify the temperature and if it's left out it "just starts printing".

I think the line in your gcode file that says "ultigcode" got corrupted.

I have some how same problem. My problem is that the machine does not pay attention to the predetermined temp. it continues heating up from the time I turn it on. the good point is that I have the temps right in the display and this shows that the sensors are ok. but why the machine does not consider them I dont know!!!

Please help me!! :???:

Hi, so you are saying that the minute you turn on your Ultimaker it starts heating up?

To what temperature?

The only thing you do is flip the power switch?

What happens when you turn it on without the SD-card inserted?