Sign in to follow this  
tachyio

Adding 12V LEDs to Ultimaker

Posted · Adding 12V LEDs to Ultimaker

Can those that have done this mod take pics of how they mounted the lights? I need some ideas on they best way....

Also, don't mess with heat sinks and linear regulators....

While probably 20x the cost but still only like 9 euros, don't waste power as heat and get a 12V/1A version of these:

http://www.recom-power.com/pdf/Innoline/R-78Bxx-1.0_L.pdf

The part number for the 12V - 1A (12 watt) version is R-78B12-1.0

Based on the app note, no caps are needed for an input of 19V.

Mounting the LEDs was also my biggest unknown fear. I ended up printing these:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:543402

The sides fit onto the axle caps and you need to drill two holes for the front. I like this one the most because the LEDs stay hidden somewhat.

As for the 7812 vs the "fancy ones". I had a 7812 in my electronics box and I wanted to make it that weekend :p But I agree, the other is better ;)

I'll check those out. I like that they are somewhat hidden. I think it would be pretty easy just mount them on top on hanging below the 8mm rods but I'd like to tuck them away some...

The lights I used came on a flexible strip with tape on the back. I cut it into 4 pieces (2 vertical on the front panel, and two running down each side of the "ceiling") and used wire to connect them. The wire I used was a white ribbon cable so it's hard to see but the black electrical tape is where the connections are:

A2qDvAM.jpg

Just barely thin enough to tuck up above the belts

sgwJUOz.jpg

The routing is like this (red = leds, black = wire connections, white = wire connection to controller underneath):

arqY8Gn.png

I started integrating the lights into Marlin to be controlled through g-code but I haven't touched this or my printer really in a while: http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/6204-rgb-led-strips-control/&do=findComment&comment=56945

Wow, nice job. You really have them tucked in. I'll have to think about this. The "ribbon" type seem to really tuck up in there....

Thanks to both of you for the pics.

On my UMO+ I also went for LEDs strips. It's inexpensive (5 € for one meter) and it works really well!

I added an Industrial ajustable PSU to the bottom of my printer, set to 20V for the printer itself, and made a seperate 12V rail using a DC stepdown buck unit I got on ebay, to this I have my "always on" 12V stuff connected (electronics cooling, e3d cold-end cooling and LEDs)

The LEDs are these 4 sticks with a central control, from IKEA:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50192365/

You can tune them to all sorts of different colors, and have in change dynamically in a fancy "party printer" mode... mostly I just use bright white though.

Here they are, placed upright in each corner inside the printer:

Wedges

IKEA dioder

Still not fully mounted in those pictures... I now have them attached to the frame using double sided tape, which works like a charm...

I am using two 12-V strips in a serial circuit and connect them with the 24V of the heated Power-bed supply. No extra electronics required, except a switch of course.

4Dim