Floridian Printer

ea407

Posted · Floridian Printer

I've done quite a bit of reading through the forums and feel the ultimaker has the kind of base i like to see in a open source product. I started with a diy rep rap and wanted something more precise and reliable, so here I am.

UM2 and a few spools of ABS filament were ordered today so we'll see how it goes, can't wait to receive it!

Right now I'm most interested in ABS because that's the material I feel I need for the part I would like to print. But PLA is definitely on the way. I definitely want to try that gummy filament for squishy stuff

You might want to check if PET is an alternative for you... It needs a bit lower temperatures for both heated bed and hotend and produces much less nano particles and fumes...

I definitely want to try that gummy filament for squishy stuff

Beware that flexible filaments are very difficult to print with bowden tube but you can do it. You will need to add oil into the bowden (apply to the filament) and you might have to print as slow as 10mm/sec to keep pressure extremely low on the filament. Or alternatively get a different feeder design printed.

Don't know your application but look into ColorFabb XT too.... Warm bed + hairspray works well.

I order the 2.85mm version from http://www.printedsolid.com/ very fast shipping in my case...

http://www.printedsolid.com/shop/3mm/colorfabb-xt-2-85mm/

Dim3nsioneer - PET looks great actually..It takes to vapor/liquid smoothing. It's been just a few months since I looked into anything new and there's already all sorts of new filaments floating around which is awesome to have this much flexibility. The best thing appears to be plate adhesion compared to ABS, on large prints with my prusa I had a horrible time. Small prints came out great though. I'll definitely be ordering a roll to check it out.

Gr5 - I did notice the printed filament oilers floating around. I'm definitely not worried about print speeds, generally I slow down to around 50mm-60mm either way, I definitely prefer quality over speed.

anon4321 - That clear looks incredible. Thanks for the link.

Don't know your application but look into ColorFabb XT too.... Warm bed + hairspray works well.

I order the 2.85mm version from http://www.printedsolid.com/ very fast shipping in my case...

http://www.printedsolid.com/shop/3mm/colorfabb-xt-2-85mm/

I print XT without any spray or other stuff, just a good clean bed of 70 C works fine for me.

Hey, thanks for the plug. I definitely would look into PET. XT actually is a PET. That along with T-glase and PET+. All three are similar but not the same I think a few places might be selling a generic 'PET' as well.

I'm convinced that PET is going to overtake ABS as a go-to filament for the reasons that others have listed in this thread. Expect to see more options for colored PET come early Fall. ;)