PLA prints stuck to print bed bed

row

Posted · PLA prints stuck to print bed bed

I have a new UM Original, and the prints keep getting stuck on the print bed. I've tried brim and rafts, I've tried removing the tape and replacing it each time, and I've tried putting the bed in the freezer after each print. I've also tried removing the prints with a razor blade.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you!

Usually, that is a good sign :)

What initial layer thickness are you using?

Maybe you're squishing the PLA into the tape too much. Try turning all four bed adjustment screws a little bit clockwise. Something like 1/4 turn. Maybe a little less, maybe a little more.

If you're willing to spend some money, you should try one of these printer plates: http://printinz.com/printer-plates/

While I haven't had one of these particular plates myself, I've heard only good things from them here in the forums. I'm using a similar build plate (from a german seller) which performs really good and I would never want to print without it again.

The only downside of these plates is that they don't come cheap. But it's worth it!

/note:

You don't need a heated bed for this to work! It may help, but PLA can be printed without heat.

Um - this is a good thing, right?

You can remove all the glue and brim - that will make them stick less. Clean off the glue with glass cleaner to get all the glue off before you print.

Let the glass cool to room temp and parts tend to pop off.

However I *like* that they stick like hell.

I remove parts by letting them cool completely to room temperature and I use a stainless steel putty knife that I sharpened to razor sharpness using a file and sand paper. They tend to pop off. Even with glue and brim.

Also if you set the glass temp to room temperature the parts will stick EVEN LESS. Lol. This is funny because normally I am advising all the opposites!

Here are tests I did measuring how well parts stick to glass:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/3404-printing-on-glass/

Jonny, the initial layer thickness is 0.3mm. Cut off object bottom is set at 0.0mm. Bottom layer speed is set at 20mm/s.

Should I change any of these settings?

Thank you very much for the printinz link. I do think I'll get one of these.

Jonny, the initial layer thickness is 0.3mm. Cut off object bottom is set at 0.0mm. Bottom layer speed is set at 20mm/s.

Should I change any of these settings?

Thank you very much for the printinz link. I do think I'll get one of these.

That's the very same settings I use as well - nothing wrong there.

But note that setting 0.3mm initial layer height doesn't mean that you also get 0.3mm! That depends on how well you have levelled your build platform..

Especially when using 0.3mm initial layer height, you can easily level your build platform in a manner that the nozzle will actually be only 0.1mm apart from the platform, which makes it squish the PLA into the blue tape very hard.

I think that could be why your prints stick too hard to the platform.

It's easier with a more sophisticated build platform. It's also more expensive and not "necessary", which is probably why the UM doesn't come with one in the first place.

And don't forget that these printer plates are quite a new development in the 3D printer world. I believe that in one or two years they will be the standard for all good printers.

I think I was unclear:

Let the glass cool to room temp and parts tend to pop off.

What I mean is if you print with the print bed temp at room temp the parts won't stick well at all. So if that is your goal (I think you are crazy) then that's one of the 2 easiest things to do. The other is to use no glue.

@gr5: He has an original and I assume no after market heated bed since he mentions tape.

If you find your prints are sticking too well you could dirty up the tape a bit. Rub your fingers on the tape so that some of the oil and dirt from your hands get on the tape. That will reduce the stickiness. Or take a look at your levelling like Jonny mentions.

But in general, it's the other way around, you WANT stickiness, and lots of it.