Is it normal to adjust the flow rate?

j3d

Posted · Is it normal to adjust the flow rate?

I seem to be getting much better prints when adjusting the flow rate on the machine to 130%. I have problems where the walls don't touch before making the adjustment.

Is it normal to have to bump up the flow? is there another way to compensate in Cura instead?

Typical settings:

PLA at 220 deg C

Bed at 55 deg C

Layer at .1mm

Print speed 50 mm/s

And thank you to all the forum members who have helped me so far. I haven't been here too long but I can already tell this is a great community. I look forward to the day when I might learn enough to help others in the same way.

It may mean that you set up a wrong filament diameter (too big) in Cura.

Measure the diameter of the filament you use. If it's 2.85 but set up as 3.0 in Cura, you are in the end extruding less than Cura is expecting, thus increasing the flow compensate this.

PLA rolls advertised as 3.0mm diameter are actually often less than this.

Rolls are advertised as 3mm filament. (note the lack of ".0") and are actually fabricated with a spec of 2.85+-0.5

It may mean that you set up a wrong filament diameter (too big) in Cura.

Measure the diameter of the filament you use. If it's 2.85 but set up as 3.0 in Cura, you are in the end extruding less than Cura is expecting, thus increasing the flow compensate this.

My filament is running at the high end 2.895 mm. Where in Cura do you set the diameter? I don't see it on any screen.

My filament is running at the high end 2.895 mm. Where in Cura do you set the diameter? I don't see it on any screen.

When you are in full settings, in the first tab (Basic), the last section is "Filament", where you can set up the filament diameter and flow. At least in Cura 14.07. But I think it's been here for a while.

The setting is nowhere to be found on a Mac :) (or just well hidden)

Filament diameter is set on the printer if you have an Ultimaker2. The setting is not available in cura if you have chosen the UM2 as your printer (and UltiGcode).

Thank you knowledgebase Robert :) It is so handy and awesome to have you around.

Well, this is still a mystery to me. The settings on my UM2 have the right diameter. Any other thoughts?