How do you store your 3D files?

feik

Posted · How do you store your 3D files?

I just wanted to ask the community if there is a "smart" way to store the 3D files.

So far I am just storing them in a file structure classified in folders. Each project has a folder with all the different file extensions in there: .stl, .gcode, etc.

I try to use a naming structure that makes sense, but sometimes is difficult to guess what is inside the file. The SolidWorks files at least have a thumbnail that give you an idea of what is inside the file without having to open them. But for .stl or .gcodes or other formats I need to use specific software to open them. It will be useful to have information off the .gcode without having to open the file.

Which strategy do you use to maintain your 3D printing libraries?

I do the same as you, divide into folders, sometimes by type of project such as "Improvements" and then try to name the files as clearly as possible. STLs usually go into a separate "STLs" folder inside the project folder. I never save gcode on the computer really. In the old days of Skeinforge when it took a loooong time to slice I did, but not these days.

Oh, and it's all stored in my Dropbox folder so I have access to it everywhere.

Always save the gcode as you can "load settings from gcode" to figure out how you sliced a particular model years later. Also I have a notebook by the printer and everytime it starts printing I note the date/time/ name of gcode file and any custom settings - usually just nozzle and bed temp but sometimes retraction settings also. And if I change feedrate or temp throughout the print that is noted and if it fails in some way that is noted.

So now a year later I can go back and tell you exactly what I did to achieve such failure of a print :)

I have an "old" directory on the SD-card where I dump old files but that's about as far as I go. With how fast slicers are changing, the settings you used 6 months ago might not be the best now. That's my philosophy anyway. That and the prints I make are usually fairly straight forward, and by now my gut is usually right when I change the settings.

Just discovered that file explorer om my new win8 laptop shows previews of stl's. Not sure if win7 wil also do this. Not near my desktop atm. Handy to do a quick check on orientation before you publish anything.

I didn't know that Win8 shows stl previews... thanks for that information! However, it seems that the preview has a bit a strange way to arrange the coordinates - but e.g. meshmixer has this problem too....

meshmixer treats Y axis as the vertical axis. Most cad programs treat Z axis as vertical axis.

So think of it as a "top down view".

I've tried to use Matter Control http://www.mattercontrol.com

but it is not handy for the UM machines. It doesn't support UltiGcode.

Most cad programs treat Z axis as vertical axis.

which seems to me the proper way to deal with cartesian coordinates....