Rough surface

andrea3d

Posted · Rough surface

Hi Andrea,

with the pyramid it looks like overhang issues, with the vase I would say stringing is an issue. The first thing you can do is check this http://support.3dverkstan.se/article/23-a-visual-ultimaker-troubleshooting-guide made by Robert. You can find all or most of the common issues when getting to know the 3D printing world.

Other then that, I am sure you will get a more detailed answer from some of the more experienced guys ;) soon enough.

Posted · Rough surface

I see "Ul" in your profile, do you mean Ultimaker 1?

Also, if you share your print settings it will be easier to help. Just taking a quick look it might be that you're printing a bit too hot.

Posted · Rough surface

To me temp looks fine. The pyramid might not be able to get much better although there are tricks to make the top much better. But the vase you should be able to make much better. I can't decide if it's stringing or if it's just printing too fast.

I would look in layer view and see if there are lots of horizontal blue lines (non extruding moves) in the region where those bumps are on the vase.

If "yes" then make sure retration is enabled (there will also be vertical blue lines if retraction is working) and if it is happening but still getting bumps then maybe increase retraction distance (default is 4.5mm but many people's bowden jiggles a bit and this is fixable) to 5.5mm?

If "no" then try printing at half the speed. You have to be extra patient if you want extra quality. In general quality is maximized at 20mm/sec so no reason to go slower than that. I usually print at 35mm/sec for high quality and 50-100mm/sec for low quality.

Posted · Rough surface

Thank you all for your suggestions. I am using Ultimaker2. I have tried printing the Stratum flower vase again with the following settings:

- Layer height: 0.1

- Shell thickness 1.6

- Print speed 20mm/sec

- Travel speed 60

- Retraction length 5.3

- Retraction speed 30/s

- Temp 175 degree Celcius

But I am still having the same problems with the surface. I would like to upload a photo but received an "server returned with an error" message every time I tried.

Has anyone printed this Stratum flower vase with UM2 before? If so, can I know what setting and filament did you use? Thank you.

Posted · Rough surface

I can't upload pictures either. I notified Sander. It's best to post pictures to the forum because that way they will be visible 10 years from now but since you don't have much choice today... please load them somewhere else such as dropbox, google plus, flickr. And leave the picture for decades please. Actually within 10 years no one will likely care anymore.

Then you click the tiny tree-in-a-box icon to include the picture in your post.

Posted · Rough surface

Thank you all for your suggestions. I am using Ultimaker2. I have tried printing the Stratum flower vase again with the following settings:

- Layer height: 0.1

- Shell thickness 1.6

- Print speed 20mm/sec

- Travel speed 60

- Retraction length 5.3

- Retraction speed 30/s

- Temp 175 degree Celcius

But I am still having the same problems with the surface. Has anyone printed this Stratum flower vase with UM2 before? If so, can I know what setting and filament did you use? Thank you.

IMG 5557

Posted · Rough surface

Shell thickness 1.6

This is fine but I don't think you really need it that thick. You will save lots of time if you print 1.2mm thick.

Travel speed 60

The faster you go with this the better the quality. I recommend at least 150mm/sec. Maybe 250mm/sec. This reduces stringing by pulling the string so that it breaks.

I'm still not sure what is going on with your print. The picture is blurry. But I think I see small bumps. You need to know exactly what is going on right where the bump is. Is this a point of retraction/stringing? Or is this something else? Is this where the printer slows down or stalls? Is this overextrusion leakage? Maybe your filament diameter or flow is set so that you are overextruding? I really don't know.

I think you should be able to match each bump to something in the slice view. This will help us figure out what the problem is.

Also you might want to try a different filament. Different filaments print amazingly different quality results.