Multiple parts in 1 print problem

Titus

Posted · Multiple parts in 1 print problem

Dear all,

I'm trying to speed up my process of printing things that require multiple parts, or making multiples of 1 thing.

In this case I'm trying to make a couple of Wobblies:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:170932

I'm printing the body upside down with touch buildplate support for the joint thingies.

As you can see in the album, this gives me a pretty neat part(apart from some under extrusion due to filament).

But as soon as the 2nd body starts, the print is totally smudged. Which seem to point out a leveling issue, even though the first part was printed correctly. I've had this problem on different spots and order of printing.

Any clue how I can print more parts in 1 go, because this doesn't seem to work.

Printing them all at once is an option, but I'd rather not to prevent stringing issues and extra travel time etc.

Strange stuff.

I tried front first and back first. Back works just fine, front messed up... Bed leveling too low. So I leveled higher, same thing. Now I leveled slightly to high and printing back first to see if it works:

Thats weird. I print multiple parts often and never got that issue (using UM2). Are the fan stopping when you start the second piece? They should stop since its a new initial layer. If they dont stop try stopping them yourself for the test

Looks to me it's a Z zeroing issue.

Don't know how UM is homing Z, but I assume it does faster closing to the bed, then returning for a while and then slower coming back to zero. During printing multiple pieces, one at a time, I don't know if it does the same each time. If not, and using instead a straight positioning command, then it might not obtain the same "zero".

Just try printing all at once, so that each layer will be printed for all pieces before jumping to the next, and I can bet there will be no problem.

If this is the case, then you just have to investigate if there is an abnormal backlash in Z mechanics.

I've decided to give raft a try, and that works perfect! It takes like 5 minutes extra, but at least all parts stick to it :)

It looks like this now :D

I'm new to Ultimaker world. I have a big issue with multiple parts. When I print 1 part, no problem. Sticking is also no

problem with the heated bed to 60 ° and the staples glue. But when I print the same part in multiple like 2, 3 or 4 parts

it will stop feeding the filament after 1.5 cm of print heigth. I have tried different shapes but every time is jams. It is frustrating because I have to deliver some parts.

I print with S3d latest version. Flow 100 % PLA 215° Speed 3500mm/min with support. The parts are appr. 100 cm³ . so

rather big parts with round edges, holes and 30 % infill.

I think it is the feeder but do not know what we can do about it.

You can also try opening the native files up in a cad program and arrange the parts there. Then save out as 1 .stl file. When you open it in Cura, it will be multiple parts, but Cura recognizes them all as being 1 part so it will print all parts at the same time.

Not all people post the native files ( step , Igs , sldpt , .ipt, etc ) so it won't always be an option.

Hi Surfer, I am picking up on the word "jams" in your post. I am assuming that you have to unjam the feeding system to get started again. On that basis I am thinking that with multiple models you may well be doing a lot mode retraction than with a single model. It may be that this is causing your filament to get chewed up, leading to the jam. Next time check the filament, in the Bowden tube, between the drive mechanism and the extruder. If it is really rough with teeth marks then that is probably your problem. On my printer I would take some pressure off the drive mechanism but not totally sure about the UM as this area has historically had its issues; other members better placed than myself to advise.

Thanks for the info, you are correct. The filemant is eaten with the teeth of the feeder. Once this happens the feeder

cannot get out of the hole anymore. I will try to loosen the feeder a bit. Also I downloaded some new filament giding

parts. But what do I need to do with the 'mode retraction ' ? I'm working with Symplify 3d because the support in a part

is so much easier to remove.

:) Sorry I do not use S3D,I did a quick search on the web but could not find any reference to "mode retraction". There are people on here who use or have used s3D. if you do not get an answer it might be better to start a new thread with S3D in the title and you will probably grab their attention. I think the S3D stuff tends to go to the software\other folder, maybe the answer is there already?