Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
j3d

Unspooling jam

I lost a few long prints recently due to the material not coming off the spool neatly. Seems like the free end of the material is under a loop of other material a layer down on the spool After a few hours of printing everything gets tight and the feeder can't pull the material through. Any thoughts on how to address this problem? I tried to re spool a few meters before starting but it doesn't get me through a long print.

I lost a few long prints recently due to the material not coming off the spool neatly. Seems like the free end of the material is under a loop of other material a layer down on the spool After a few hours of printing everything gets tight and the feeder can't pull the material through. Any thoughts on how to address this problem? I tried to re spool a few meters before starting but it doesn't get me through a long print.

I had this in one of my not so good brands of PLA. Most frustrating, no matter how much you seem to unwind it it still stays tangled somehow.. :/ I just ended up uncoiling, and loosening it every few hours. (which is not really a solution I know. But I share in your pain.)

I doubt it has much to do with the quality of the filament (I have it on a spool from Ultimaker that I've been too lazy to fix properly) but more to do with just accidentally making it happen when handling the spool.

When you change a spool just NEVER let go of the end of the fillament untill you attached it to the spool.

I use these things to clamb the fillament to the side of the spool.

paper clamp

I would never use the clambs where you need to attach the fillament end to some other part of filament on the spool.... just to much risk you'll mess up then....

Good call with the clips. I just started using the clip type where the end attaches to another loop of material in the spool. I can see how it would be easy to get a knot. I'll use the binder clips!

Thanks everyone for the comments and ideas. :cool: